finishing off a basket

Nicolapen

Question

7 answers to this question

You might want to add a photo.  I have been watching your progression on this project and it looked to me like you used a very bulky yarn/rope/material.

I have not made a basket using bulky yarn but I dont think I would want to finish it off and weave in ends like I normally do.  Seems like the extra bulk would distort the shape. 

I think I would do the invisible join to finish it off.

https://www.crochetarcade.co.uk/invisible-finish-fasten-off-tutorial/#:~:text=Invisible finish or in other,first stitch using slip stitch.

I dont think I would leave a very long tail in this case to weave in.  I think I would leave an inch or two and try to place it so it isnt terribly obvious.   Then stitch it in place with sewing thread.

Hopefully some others will check in with helpful tips.

Good point on the bulky tail weave-in potential; splitting the plies and weaving them in different directions might be something to consider, as well (more weaving but less bulky/obvious).  But, I'd think you'd want to leave a longer tail, because you need more tail to maneuver the needle with, than you will be weaving in.  If your needle is 2" long, and you want to weave in 2 of thread", your tail has to be at least 4" (or, you can stick the needle in up to the eye and thread it that way I guess...)

That invisible fasten-off is the great, I use it for knitting as well.

48 minutes ago, bgs said:

You might want to add a photo.  I have been watching your progression on this project and it looked to me like you used a very bulky yarn/rope/material.

I have not made a basket using bulky yarn but I dont think I would want to finish it off and weave in ends like I normally do.  Seems like the extra bulk would distort the shape. 

I think I would do the invisible join to finish it off.

https://www.crochetarcade.co.uk/invisible-finish-fasten-off-tutorial/#:~:text=Invisible finish or in other,first stitch using slip stitch.

I dont think I would leave a very long tail in this case to weave in.  I think I would leave an inch or two and try to place it so it isnt terribly obvious.   Then stitch it in place with sewing thread.

Hopefully some others will check in with helpful tips.

@bgsI added 2 photos and thanks for the website link

Oh, I completely forgot what sort of yarn you were using...splitting plies isn't going to work, it looks like there's strands braided around a core.  I've never crocheted with something like that before.

Warning, what pops in my head doesn't always work in real life. 

I'm thinking - cut the end it and give it a good length, at least 6".  See if you can pick out the threads woven around the core (this will probably take a long time, pop in a DVD).  You want to preserve the outside threads; what I'm thinking is eventually cutting the core, threading the unwound outer threads on a needle to stitch around the core-end to hid it (I imagine it may not match the outer threads) and then weave the rest of the thread length, or part of it, INTO the center of of other stitches as discreetly as possible.  I can't imagine this is going to be invisible, no matter how good of a mending job you do to hide it.

18 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Good point on the bulky tail weave-in potential; splitting the plies and weaving them in different directions might be something to consider, as well (more weaving but less bulky/obvious).  But, I'd think you'd want to leave a longer tail, because you need more tail to maneuver the needle with, than you will be weaving in.  If your needle is 2" long, and you want to weave in 2 of thread", your tail has to be at least 4" (or, you can stick the needle in up to the eye and thread it that way I guess...)

That invisible fasten-off is the great, I use it for knitting as well.

@Granny Square Thanks for all your help

Edited by Nicjane