Have I gone wrong

Nicolapen

Question

I am making a basket and the top layer of crochet stitches is different way round to reference photo. Look like > instead of <. After finishing the base I did bldc in each stitch for the next round only. Working my way round clockwise

16106628326547227595716849734037.jpg

7 answers to this question

Yours look correct for someone that is right handed.  

They would go the other way if worked left handed, if the basket were turned wrong side out,  and sometimes in photography photos get flipped to a mirror image.

Looks like you are doing a good job.

Edited by bgs

Bgs, I was just contemplating (and a little stumped by) the photo when you replied, and I see what Nicjane is saying; from where the hook stopped, the point nearest the viewer has stitches are oriented >>>, but the part on the far side of the hook has stitches oriented <<<<.

The only thing I can think of is (I think) highly improbable -that you somehow started to work in the wrong direction.  This is a not-horribly unusual thing to happen in knitting when you put something in the round down and pick it back up again, and the 'tube' flips inside out and you don't pay attention where the yarn is coming from, (I did this a time or 2 as a beginner knitter, maybe it's easier to do with 2 needles versus 1 hook...in knitting, tho, it makes a little hole which you find when you come back to that spot again).  Is there a 'weird looking' spot in the fabric in the current or prior round, that we can't see in the photo?

Edited by Granny Square

Sorry my eyes only picked up stitches in the very front. I thought she was saying her stitches were going in the other direction from that in her pattern photo.  I didnt pick up on those stitches coming from the back oriented in opposite direction.  Like you pointed out she must have started working in the back side at some point.  I have to really watch myself when working on tubes as it seems they are easier to work from the back side.

Edited by bgs

9 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Bgs, I was just contemplating (and a little stumped by) the photo when you replied, and I see what Nicjane is saying; from where the hook stopped, the point nearest the viewer has stitches are oriented >>>, but the part on the far side of the hook has stitches oriented <<<<.

The only thing I can think of is (I think) highly improbable -that you somehow started to work in the wrong direction.  This is a not-horribly unusual thing to happen in knitting when you put something in the round down and pick it back up again, and the 'tube' flips inside out and you don't pay attention where the yarn is coming from, (I did this a time or 2 as a beginner knitter, maybe it's easier to do with 2 needles versus 1 hook...in knitting, tho, it makes a little hole which you find when you come back to that spot again).  Is there a 'weird looking' spot in the fabric in the current or prior round, that we can't see in the photo?

@Granny SquareThe stitches on the far side you are referring to are the back of the stitches so they are not going in a different direction. Below I hope is a better photo. 

20210115_090815[1].jpg

5 hours ago, bgs said:

Sorry my eyes only picked up stitches in the very front. I thought she was saying her stitches were going in the other direction from that in her pattern photo.  I didnt pick up on those stitches coming from the back oriented in opposite direction.  Like you pointed out she must have started working in the back side at some point.  I have to really watch myself when working on tubes as it seems they are easier to work from the back side.

@bgsYou have misinterpreted my photo. The stitches coming from the back are not oriented in the opposite direction. You cannot see the front of them. In reply to someone else I included a better photo.

5 hours ago, Nicjane said:

@bgsYou have misinterpreted my photo. The stitches coming from the back are not oriented in the opposite direction. You cannot see the front of them. In reply to someone else I included a better photo.

I was hoping for your better photo!  After looking at your photo everything I said in my first post applies.  Yours looks correct for someone that is right handed and you are doing a good job!