Crochet Pattern Help

SFrancis

Question

7 answers to this question

I think the pattern writer is using the wrong symbol, I've never seen # used, and it's not what the Crochet Guild of America calls out for standard pattern writing.

Have you ever encountered a double asterisk  **?  The ** standard symbol to mark a place marker in a pattern, that you ignore except at the point where the tells you to stop ignoring it.   I'm fairly certain, by the wording, that this pattern is using the # symbol in place of the **--it's telling you to to ignore the #  until the last repeat, where you stop at the # point instead of finishing the repeat. 

Craft Yarn Council link for standards - main page, see menu at the right side

• Like 1

When instructions are confusing I rewrite them out long hand. For example if it tells you to do a long sequence 3 times I write it out 3 times and only put a few instructions on a line so I dont get lost.  This pattern is also subbing in the word fan for a sequence of instructions that should be in the notes.  I might write those out longhand too.

For example

Row 1 (right side)

Sc in 2nd ch from hook

Now this sequence 

[Skip next 3 ch, fan in next ch# , skip next 3 ch, sc in next ch] 3 times ending last rep at #

I would write out like this

Skip next 3 ch, fan in next ch, 

Skip next 3 ch, sc in next ch

Skip next 3 ch, fan in next ch

Skip next 3 ch, sc in next ch, 

Skip next 3 ch, fan in next ch, 

Then go on and break down the next part.  Hopefully I didnt mess this up as I had to scroll back and forth.

• Like 1

^ What she said about visually separating chunks of a complex pattern repeat; I make a lot of doilies and sometimes 1 repeat of a lace segment can be very wordy.  If this is your own printout, or personal copy of a book, -- what I do is pencil a slash mark between relevant phrases, which visually separates them like BGS did but with a slash mark instead of rewriting.  

• Like 1

Not sure, but I think maybe the writer is using # symbol to indicate the word space. For instance, "Skip next 3 ch, fan in next ch space" etc.

• Like 1

Naj - Chain space might make sense at "ch#" at first glance where it first appears, but later in the same sentence it says "ending last repeat at #" so space doesn't makes sense at that spot.  At second glance, this is row 1 working all stitches into a chain, so adding the word "space" doesn't make sense.

SFrancis - Copying the whole instruction from Bgs' post - "[Skip next 3 ch, fan in next ch,# , skip next 3 ch, sc in next ch] 3 times ending last rep at #"  Another way to look at this - do the whole line inside the brackets, including the bold part, 2 times, and then the third time do the first half but omit the bold part and go straight to what it says after the bracket.  

• Like 1

Using that # sign sure throws things off. Did you check the symbol explanation chart? Below, on their page where to order the pattern, is a help line for this pattern. Maybe it will help:

Project Assistance: Are you stuck on a project? Let us help! Call us at 1-800-962-9504 Monday-Friday between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.est and one of our associates will help you through the process of completing your project!

Edited by ReniC
  • Like 1