Joining Crochet Panels

Ita Ang

Question

11 answers to this question

What's confusing is that there are no V-stitches on left side, and there should be according to the directions.  Also, the left side edge looks like there are 1 too many rows from the perspective of the edges that are meeting; there is a pattern just below the solid area of the top edges (from the perspective of this photo) that looks like

\_/\_/\_/

But on the left side edge of the opening it looks like this \_/\_/\_/ / , where that red bit is twice as long as the other /, and doesn't form part of a \_/ shape.  I hope that makes sense, that red slash is part of the row that (I suspect) doesn't belong there.  Which appears to be the last row made on that motif, not the first, so it would be easy to rip out if I am guessing right.

So, I suggest considering ripping out the last row of the motif on the left--it looks like the pattern & directions will match up if you do this - BUT, look at your pattern photo before you do this--do the seams in the photo look like this is reasonable?

Hi Krys, there are a lot of thread table cloth, table runner, and bedspread patterns that are made in (usually) little squares, but no reason they couldn't be little rectangles.  Usually they are join as you go.  Like most of these vintage tablecloths, some are even circles that you join partly as you go and then the pattern also has little 'filler' motif, also JAYG, to fill the gaps (I made a runner with that pattern, it really needs much smaller thread than the #10 thread I used, was too gappy/floppy even with a lot of starch and blocking.)  The OP's pattern is (sort of) like this one, the join is right down the center middle top to bottom, and side to side.

Thanks for the response Granny Square. I hear what you are saying about the rows.

This pattern was from the Crochet Magazine Summer 2019 issue. I have made three projects from this magazine and all three patterns have needed alterations/corrections. A little frustrating for a novice, ... so I will try to explain my changes. The First Panel incorrectly said to repeat Rows 7 & 8. Actually, I believe, that you should repeat rows 8 & 9. [This came to pass after ripping many rows out, etc.] 

So, the directions say to end with Row 7, my Row 8 for the first panel.

For the Second Panel, you also end with Row 8.

I believe that they want Row 9 to be the row that connects the two. Row 9 is the one that has the three “bumps” in it.

I will attach the original directions for you to see Row 9 vs. Row 39 (connecting row)

* Note:  I added rows on each side of the panels because I wanted a longer runner. The original pattern will only result in a 36” long runner, but I still ended on Row 8. I made a separate check list so that I would not make a mistake.

Sorry that this is so long. After all of that it seems easier to end the second panel with Row 9 and then just “sew” them together.

If you can understand all that I have here and then could explain HOW to attach, I would greatly appreciate it.

Krys, It seems that the first 7 rows would be hard to decrease because of the special stitch fdc (foundation double crochet)

BBAF9060-4E73-4C9D-B456-A95DB493F31D.jpeg

Before analyzing this further, I have to admit I stopped my subscription to that magazine several years ago because the tech editing was so awful the errata got to be longer than the magazine (only slightly exaggerating).   The last straw was a doily pattern that was about 30% wrong, and 30% missing.  I hope they have gotten their act together since then.

Oh look, errata...https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/cotton-bloom-table-runner  didn't look at it, but it may help?

Thanks for the response Granny Square. I hear what you are saying about the rows.

This pattern was from the Crochet Magazine Summer 2019 issue. I have made three projects from this magazine and all three patterns have needed alterations/corrections. A little frustrating for a novice, ... so I will try to explain my changes. The First Panel incorrectly said to repeat Rows 7 & 8. Actually, I believe, that you should repeat rows 8 & 9. [This came to pass after ripping many rows out, etc.] 

I believe that they want Row 9 to be the row that connects the two. Row 9 is the one that has the three “bumps” in it.

I will attach the original directions for you to see Row 9 vs. Row 39 (connecting row)

* Note:  I added rows on each side of the panels because I wanted a longer runner. The original pattern will only result in a 36” long runner, but I still ended on Row 8. I made a separate check list so that I would not make a mistake.

Sorry that this is so long. After all of that it seems easier to end the second panel with Row 9 and then just “sew” them together.

If you can understand all that I have here and then could explain HOW to attach, I would greatly appreciate it.

Krys, It seems that the first 7 rows would be hard to decrease because of the special stitch fdc (foundation double crochet)

16 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Hi Krys, there are a lot of thread table cloth, table runner, and bedspread patterns that are made in (usually) little squares, but no reason they couldn't be little rectangles.

I know that.  But just by looking at that picture I thought that was a table Runner and was made out of two pieces join in a middle. I thought there was ONLY one seam in middle LOL

THANKS,

Krys