Repeating skip stitch

VickiWiggs

Question

I’m making a button cowl. It all made sense at first ...

After a few rows of dc, Row 3 had me skip 2 stitches, dc,ch1,dc in the next, repeat for the row.

Row 4 dc,ch1,dc in the skipped stitches from the previous row. Did that two times, then did a row of dc in all stitches in a row. 
Rows 5,6 straight dc again

R7 repeat Row 3 (creating spaces again)

Here’s the part I don’t get:

R8-13: repeat row 4. I did that once ... am I supposed to keep dc/ch1/dc in THE SAME HOLES for 5 rows???

8 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  When in doubt, look at the pattern photo.  DC, ch1, DC is in the 'v stitch' family (x stitches, y chains, x stitches into 1 stitch--x and y can be the same number).  Making rows of V stitches is a common thing, and usually you make a V stitch into the chain space of the V stitch in the row below.

It just occurred to me by "same holes for 5 rows???" , are you thinking you are  to be working rows 8 -13 all into row 3? No.  When a pattern says something like 'repeat row x', and you way beyond row x, it just means to follow the instructions contained in row x, which will create new rows way beyond the original row x.  It's sort of a lazy, um efficient way for the designer to save a little typing :lol  

There are times when a pattern will tell you to reach down a few rows below your current row, but it will clearly and specifically say that--this pattern is not saying that.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  When in doubt, look at the pattern photo.  DC, ch1, DC is in the 'v stitch' family (x stitches, y chains, x stitches into 1 stitch--x and y can be the same number).  Making rows of V stitches is a common thing, and usually you make a V stitch into the chain space of the V stitch in the row below.

It just occurred to me by "same holes for 5 rows???" , are you thinking you are  to be working rows 8 -13 all into row 3? No.  When a pattern says something like 'repeat row x', and you way beyond row x, it just means to follow the instructions contained in row x, which will create new rows way beyond the original row x.  It's sort of a lazy, um efficient way for the designer to save a little typing :lol  

There are times when a pattern will tell you to reach down a few rows below your current row, but it will clearly and specifically say that--this pattern is not saying that.

Still not quite getting it.  I THINK what you're saying is what I will end up doing in rows 8-13 is repeating Row3, 4, and 5 five times? I attached the pattern.  Thanks for the help ... this is my first time trying something just from a pattern!

easy-textured-button-cowl-us.pdf

"I THINK what you're saying is what I will end up doing in rows 8-13 is repeating Row3, 4, and 5 five times?"

No; look at the math.  Row 3, 4, 5 = 3  rows.  8, 9,10, 11,12, 13 = 6 rows, not 5.  Theoretically you could follow the instructions for 3, 4, 5 twice in the span of 6 rows, but that is not what the pattern said--don't overthink, don't assume--follow the words of the pattern in their plainest, most literal meaning; that line only mentioned repeating row 4, which is 1 row of instructions, it did not say anything about repeating row 3 or row 5, so there is no reason to assume that it meant that.  The pattern said "R8-13: repeat row 4".  This means:

row 8:  follow the instructions for row 4, working stitches into row 7.

row 9:  follow the instructions for row 4, working stitches into row 8.

row 10:  follow the instructions for row 4, working stitches into row 9.

row 11:  follow the instructions for row 4, working stitches into row 10.

row 12:  follow the instructions for row 4, working stitches into row 11.

row 13:  follow the instructions for row 4, working stitches into row 12.  (see what I meant earlier about the way the pattern worded it, it saved a lot of typing :lol ?)

edit, oops, posted at the same time as BGS again.

Edited by Granny Square