Doreen K

Doreen K

Question

How do you do (Bl over Bl) crochet stitch   So the pattern calls to start with 18 chain

1st row Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each of next 5 chains, chain  2, sk next 2 chains, dc in each of rem 7 chins, ch 3(counts as first dc of next row) turn.  I have done this

Row 2. This is where I am stuck. dc in first dc and in each of next 2 dc (beg Bl over Bl made) dc in each of next 3 dc ( Bl over Bl made), ch 2 dc in next dc space (space over sp made) 1 Bl, dc in each rem. 3 dc and in 3rd chain of chain 3 (end Bl over Bl made). How do I do this? What does ( Bl over Bl) mean.
 Thanks for the reply and yes I am doing a fillet which means absolutely nothing to me help if you can

Edited by Doreen K
Wrong spelling added rest of row 2

13 answers to this question

Bl for back loop was the first thing that popped into my head, but I don't think that's what it means- for 2 reasons.

Normally a pattern would say which sort of stitch you will be making into the back loop of the stitch below.  As in , 'make a DC BLO(or TR BLO, or SC BLO, or HDC BLO) in the next stitch'.  It's often DC, but not always, and I've never seen it referred to as BL*, only BLO - example ribbing is usually SC BLO (but I've seen patterns using HDC, or even SLST, BLO for ribbing).  * But then again there are some self published patterns out there that are unconventionally written, so you never know.

The clincher that this probably means something else is that it says "(beg Bl over Bl made)".  Normally when you see beg (beginning) it's a part of a compound stitch, like a shell, that is used to start a row, and is named differently because it is different than an a shell made elsewhere (example, if a shell is 3 DC into 1, a beginning shell is usually 2 DC into 1).  Edit - This is a little different to what I've seen before, because "dc in first dc and in each of next 2 dc (beg Bl over Bl made)" is 3 stitches in a row, so not a compound stitch - now I'm thinking BL might mean 'block' (maybe?)

DoreenK, does the pattern have a 'special stitches' section?  It's usually at the beginning but sometimes it can be after the end of the pattern.  This should explain what BL and beginning BL means.  Or, sometimes a pattern will define a stitch the first time it occurs, like your pattern did ("do something, BL beginning stitch made").  

(slaps head)  BLOCK!  Are you doing filet?  That's a whole different kettle of fish, I'll be back...

Edited by Granny Square

Here is a very good tutorial for basic filet stitches, it has videos and also a stitch diagram.  Even if you have never used a stitch diagram before, I think studying these will help you understand what is going on, how the structure happens - the key to remember is each 'unit' is 3 stitches.

https://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

An open block/mesh is (US) CH 2, DC

A filled block/mesh is (US) 3 DC

Each row is a multiple of 3+1 stitches (not the beginning chain count).  The 1 stitch "is" a DC (but really the turning chain 3) because if the first mesh is an open mesh, you can't start a row with 2 chains 'in the air', you need to close up the edge with a "DC".  If the row ends in an open mesh, it's OK because a mesh ends in a DC.  If the row starts with a filled mesh, the edge mesh is just 4 DC in a row, 1 being the 'edge stitch' which doesn't factor into the mesh count

If you see other tutorials online that try to tell you to count by 4, ignore them unless they are using US trebles - that is a different thing, Gross Filet.  A lot of people can't count to 3 apparently, and try to tell you that meshes 'share' stitches - no, they do not.  I think that's why a lot of people run away screaming from filet, it is not that complicated.  Count to 3, period.  If you have a sequence of open mesh, filled mesh, open mesh, the filled mesh appears to be 4 DC but the rightmost DC 'belongs' to the open mesh.

• Like 1

'Block' came to mind for bl before I thought of filet, then the light dawned when I realized it was groups of 3 stitches, and block over block...I wonder what the pattern calls an open mesh, maybe just mesh.

I have B. Barnden's Crochet Stitch Bible, it's well done--is both written and stitch diagram instructions. 

12 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

'Block' came to mind for bl before I thought of filet, then the light dawned when I realized it was groups of 3 stitches, and block over block...I wonder what the pattern calls an open mesh, maybe just mesh.

I have B. Barnden's Crochet Stitch Bible, it's well done--is both written and stitch diagram instructions. I need to organize my books still, not sure if I have that, sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Someone did a book review on youtube, it starts slow, skip ahead to about 1.5 minutes and watch a minute or 2, really after the basics it's like 'new stitch a day' more or less, except on paper.

I do have it, sitting on the dresser with a magazine and yarn on top,geez. I do need to organize but life keeps getting in the way.  I have a few more stitch books, I enjoy perusing looking for inspiration 

On 10/4/2020 at 9:55 AM, Granny Square said:

...............(slaps head)  BLOCK!  Are you doing filet?  That's a whole different kettle of fish, I'll be back...

I sure hope you didn't slap too hard! 😂

I immediately thought bl= "Block", filet crochet, etc. 

A link to the pattern sure would help figure this out for our OP. 🙂

Part of the headslap is that I guessed block without immediately thinking filet, since I mostly make doilies nowadays.  I have only ever followed filet charts, never a written filet pattern.  Also I think of the filet components as mesh, not blocks, so it took a bit for 'block' to sink in I guess.

I wonder if the OP's pattern is vintage?  I have some vintage books with at least 1written filet pattern that I can think of, but have never seen a modern one.  I'd think a chart would be so much easier (nowadays) to design with in the first place--I've made a couple of my own (simple) filet charts using a spreadsheet, so easy to 'color in', erase, copy/paste to move something over a little...and then you're done, you don't have to write the pattern out, just hit the print button!

Edited by Granny Square