Alternative to a turning chain 1 in SC?

Alice Florence

Question

My pattern has a turning chain of 1, that counts as a SC. Each row ends with two SC into the turning chain, but I hate doing this.

With double crochet, I'm familiar with stacking SC instead of a turning chain so I know there's often ways around things you don't like.

Is there any alternative to a chain 1 turning chain when doing rows of SC?

(Pattern is actually in UK terms but I've written my problem in American terms to avoid confusion).

Thanks in advance,

Alice

7 answers to this question

I don't know of any 'hacks' like that for sc, but I don't see the point of writing the pattern this way.  I'm having a hard time imagining how it would be an advantage.

I'd 'rewrite' the pattern to a more conventional form, to use 1 chain as a turning chain that doesn't count as a stitch, and just work 2 sc into the last sc of the row (in the spot you mentioned above) ignore the turning chain from the row below, then ch1, turn, sc in the first sc.....  If you aren't miles into the pattern, it might be worthwhile ripping and starting over, adding 1 to the foundation chain and making the first sc into the second ch from the hook, as usual, and at the end of the row ch 1, turn, ignore the ch and work into the first sc of the next row.  (You'd have to decide if not ripping back, and just starting with "chain 1 and ignore the chain" at a random spot is going to bother you appearance-wise).  Your stitch count is not going to change beyond the foundation chain, so you are just 'following the pattern' except the first stitch is a sc, not the now-ignored turning chain.

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you, I'll give that a go. It's a ripple style blanket so not lying very flat for me right now. Will need a bit of tweaking here and there when I block it. I don't think a change in style half way through will do it any harm. Thanks, will certainly make the crocheting more pleasant.