Want to make a crocheted version of this

Horsy

Question

9 answers to this question

Look at the tags--sorry for the wide format, don't know how to fix that.  I thought it looked like just a rectangle with sleeve holes before I looked at the tags...

The hardest part, if you wanted to brush up your knitting skills since this is 100% knit stitch, would be the sleeves, would be 2 big buttonholes (cast off some distance on 1 side, come back and cast on the same # of sts on the other side-the knit cast on would be easy/intuitive cast-on (or heck, crochet cast on for that matter).  Or, of course, just as easy in SC, armholes created by chaining across for the depth, next row use the chain as a foundation for the other sleeve-side stitches.  Really, I think you could give it a shot in crochet without a pattern, make a rectangle with armholes--use an existing shirt for a guide on placing the armhole slits.

If I were searching for this, I'd think tunic or vest would be a better search term than wrap...

Edited by Granny Square

Should've looked at the tags!  Thanks so much for your trouble. 😺

I wanted to make sure it lies flat in the back, not like a ghastly coccoon.  The easier a garment is to crochet, the more flaws it has.  It is the details that will set things right, I have found.   

Edited by Horsy

Like Granny Square, I thought vest would be a good search term.  Here's one  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-waterfall-vest    It looks pretty simple to make.  Be sure to look at all the projects to see different ways to arrange it.  

Eta, I also used the attribute Sideways for the direction it is worked in.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

@Magiccrochetfan.  You've certainly done yeoman service.  I'm off to have a look at all your links.  I would not have known where to start without  you and Granny Square.  😊

I have no capacity whatsoever (spatial aptitude?) to picture the knitted version when it is not buttoned up, so help me out, folks: would this knitted one fall to the sides all loose and baggy like the crocheted versions that you link to?  That is what I had in mind - something that would not fall in that manner so much.  Would using a too-small hook cause the crocheted version to be less drapey?  Thank you very much!  

I am working on a relatively simple vest-like thingy* I designed myself and am finding out that garments that look good are never simple once you think you have an oh-so-clever idea. 😝  And I am really looking forward to making something like the knitted one pictured above.

------------

*2 strips, yes, but done in shells with one side a mirror of the other, with contrasting colour, arrow-like inserts.  Plus a square neckline instead of just letting the excess fold over on itself.  We shall see.  

It depends on your stitch tension.  I can knit or crochet fairly stiff fabric if I want, using a too-small hook/needle, or drapey/loose with a too-big hook.  The photo appears like the fabric is on the stiff-ish side, so I think it will lie the same in the back as the front in the not-drapey sense.

It's designed in garter, which is thick/stiff-ish compared to stockinette to start with (it also doesn't curl, which is handy for this item).

It's going to look like the green sketch below, more or less -- not sure if the proportions are exactly right.  SUPER simple shape, the hard part is getting the dimensions right and the slits in the right place.

You could probably just use a T-shirt as your 'pattern' (as long as it isn't super-tight), measuring your vest against the shirt as you go.  Working vertically (each row from collar to hem), the fronts would extend more than half way across the back measurement, then make a slit where your t-shirt sleeve seam is, work across the back, make another slit, work across the front.  I'd do this in SC to keep it holding it's shape, not drape, like the garter one in the pic.

vest.jpg

More on the T-shirt pattern - it would look like this, with regard to the vest (drawing pictures since you said you had trouble visualizing).  The T-shirt would look like this with regard to your piece; the vest is higher than the shoulder/neckline of the T-shirt because the vest has a stand-up collar.  I didn't draw the T-shirt sleeves, the white lines are the sleeve seam.

vest2.jpg

Thank you so much for the T-shirt suggestion and your drawings. 😊 I am going to take a crack at this when my 3 other projects are done.  (I am one of those folks who loves having a bunch ofthings on the go...I truly hope I am not the only one here who is "that way".)