Seeking Pattern - Photo available

Monifiddle

Question

Hello!

My Grandmother passed away in 1982 and was working on an afghan for me...it is partially completed, but I think it needs a few more strips added.  I have searched all morning for the pattern to no avail...I wonder if any of you can help me find the pattern so that I can complete what she started.    I have photos of a completed strip as well as a partially finished strip...not sure how to post a photo here...nevermind!  Figured it out!

Thank you so much! 

Monica P.

IMG_5928 (002).jpg

IMG_5929.jpg

Edited by Monifiddle
added photos

11 answers to this question

Hi Monica, welcome :hook

thats an interesting pattern!  Your photos are very nice and clear, easy to see details.  

Are some strips already joined together?  If so it would be helpful to see a photo of that.  

I don't think I have seen this one before , but often things made of strips are called 'mile a minute'.  Since we know the pattern predates 1982, it may be hard to find it online.  

• Like 1

Hello Kathy!  Thank you for your reply!

Here is a photo of the joined strips...it is such a pretty afghan.  It was intended for use as a bedspread...

I may have enough strips to make a throw, but unless I figure out the pattern It won’t be big enough for what it was intended to be.  Any input is SO appreciated!

By the way, this afghan was made in Missouri as well...Fayette, to be exact.

Thanks2056ED24-F6AD-49A1-A160-6950EDE5B501.thumb.jpeg.231c5d66262372400b3c917572fe9e80.jpeg2056ED24-F6AD-49A1-A160-6950EDE5B501.thumb.jpeg.231c5d66262372400b3c917572fe9e80.jpeg again!

9984DDAA-86DC-4D03-A77F-D31BF8874DC8.jpeg

• Like 1

Just checking in to let you know at least 1 other person tried to find the pattern for you, but unfortunately failed.  It's very pretty and unusual. 

A thought, if you can't find the pattern, If you have a usable rectangle shape you might consider enclosing that part in a border, perhaps in a contrasting color to finish a blanket shape that shows off your' Gram's handiwork.

If I were to guess, I'd say it just starts with a short chain and 1 'leaf', so the knot end of the chain and the last chain of the petal are at the point that will be the center 'stem' of the 2 leaves.  Then you make another chain, slip stitch into the middle of the petal you just made, and work back to the center over the chain, repeat.  Since you have the item you could count the stitches better than I can by squinting--it seems I'm seeing anywhere from 7 to 9 DC on each leaf, but like I said, squinting.

This is what I did in the below pic.  Like I said, poke at your piece and see if my stitch counts match yours exactly but I think this is close to your gram's pattern:

ch 6, turn, 2dc in 4th ch from hook, 3 dc in the next chain, 2 dc in the last chain (8 dc counting the skipped 3 chs as a dc)

ch 4, turn, slst in between 4th & 5th dc of prior row, turn ch 3, 7 dc around the chain.  repeat this row for the pattern.  (each leaf has 8 dc)

The second half should be identical to the first, except the first one would start with a slst to the same spot as the beginning 'knot' end of the first piece, and follow the direction of your first piece; repeat (each new leaf would slst to the equivalent spot at the center to 'row up'.

scan0012.jpg

Forgot to add, I'm not sure how your Gram joined the columns, but if it were me I'd 'join as you go', the easiest way would be ch 1, slst into the other column's leaf tip in the appropriate spot, ch 1, slip back to your current leaf.  Experiment, you could probably eliminate the chains, but see what matches the original best.

Oh wow!!  Thank you so much- I am going to try that now!  You literally brought tears to my eyes with the hope that I can do this...big hugs!

Here is a photo of the top where she joined the two strands...looks like she worked the second row in...

Again, I cannot thank you enough for giving me an awesome starting point!A434A185-4A90-40A0-A5E5-D68A4CE1B364.thumb.jpeg.5e32a836f4f3be4cf6766c4e56aa1274.jpeg

BF40382D-FA2C-4F1F-A0EA-7DF5C7578B84.jpeg

You are very welcome!  It looks like her join might have been a sc instead of a slst join as you go (maybe, experiment and see what comes closest).  Also looks like my stitch count guesses were right.  The spot where you are holding the 2 end threads are be at the beginning, so the first join wasn't at the very starting end but rather between the first & second group of leaves.

Also, re those ends - they are very short (unless there is more under your hand), this is concerning as normally you want to leave several inches to weave in securely.

1 hour ago, Monifiddle said:

Oh wow!!  Thank you so much- I am going to try that now!  You literally brought tears to my eyes with the hope that I can do this...big hugs!

Here is a photo of the top where she joined the two strands...looks like she worked the second row in...

Again, I cannot thank you enough for giving me an awesome starting point!A434A185-4A90-40A0-A5E5-D68A4CE1B364.thumb.jpeg.5e32a836f4f3be4cf6766c4e56aa1274.jpeg

BF40382D-FA2C-4F1F-A0EA-7DF5C7578B84.jpeg

Granny Square I have been looking and thinking about this also.  What has been puzzling me is how are these strips now joined together or was it continued join as you go?

Oh, good point, I stopped thinking it thru once I got 1 strip's stitches figured out, and guessed at how the second strip was added but didn't think thru to the third strip... 

It makes sense you'd continue to join as you go, so half the time you'd be joining at the 'center stem', and the other half 'leaf tip to leaf tip'.  

Edited by Granny Square

3 hours ago, Monifiddle said:

Hello Brenda!  It appears that she joined them together as she went...see attached photo of her last incomplete strip...this will be interesting to figure out...

1772E4FC-D024-4BAA-BC4F-15E78405E2EC.jpeg

BDFEB0BC-1BD3-4C35-BD47-A025916F1059.jpeg

I am puzzled "because" you have this strip.  I have a hard time seeing how you attach this piece that you are working on to the main piece.  Join as you go like Granny Square explained above "half the time you'd be joining at the 'center stem', and the other half 'leaf tip to leaf tip' " is what it looks like and makes more sense to me.