Need help

Allyson44

Question

5 answers to this question

(2 DC, DC3) is usually shorthand for make 2 dc in one stitch of previous row or round.  Make one dc in each of next 3 stitches of previous row or round. Then you continue this sequence to end of row or round or to next set of instructions.

(2DC, DC4) would be make 2dc in one stitch of previous row/round.  Make one dc in each of next 4 stitches of previous row/round.  Continue sequence.  

• Thanks 1

Ugh.  There are a lot of self-published patterns out there that are incredibly poorly written.

Edit - As I was typing the below, BGS gave an answer that I agree with.

I think you may be working a center-out circle.  When making a flat circle, with whatever 'plain' stitch, you start with making something to work into (an adjustable  ring for example).  Then, depending on the stitch, you make x stitches into the ring (x depends on the stitch height).  Then each round, you increase by x.

For US DC, x is typically 12.  so start with a ring and put 12 DC into it.

Round 2: 2 dc into each dc. (you now have added 12, for a total of 24)

Round 3: 2 dc into the first dc, 1 dc into the next dc (you have added 12, for a total of 36)

Round 4: 2 dc into the first dc, 1 dc into the next 2 dc (you have added 12, for a total of 48)

Round 5: 2 dc into the first dc, 1 dc into the next 3 dc (you have added 12, for a total of 60) 

The above round 5 matches the first instruction you gave us, round 6 would match the second that you gave us.

Note--I'm 'speaking' in US stitch terms.  A US DC is a UK treble.  If your pattern is in UK terms, a UK DC is a US SC, which for a circle starts with 6 stitches, and increases by 6 inches, so all is the above is same except the total # of stitches will start with 6, and add 6 each round. 

If you still  having problems to  understand. Maybe would help if you would look at YouTube on how to crochet circle. Go to Google there are many YouTube's on that subject.

What are you trying to make: a hat? or a doily? or..??

Krys