Where do you buy yarn?

Donna

let's see... michael's has a good selection, ebay is great for project pieces, cheap prices for a lot of yarn... as long as you know what you want ahead of time and my all time fav...

Smiley's. :)h They are located in Queens where i live and i go on saturdays... it's dangerous because i have to restrain myself from buying the store!

For those in NYC, smiley's also has hotel sales where they go to the hilton in manhattan and sell all sorts of yarn there. i've never gone but now that i work in manhattan i just may visit! :cloud9

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hooky emmy

I usually head to A.C. Moore and Hobby Lobby because they have a decent selection with great prices. I usually can't go wrong with Wal-Mart, either. Online I use Mary Maxim and Lion Brand.

We have a local Yarn store here that has the most luscious things.. they cater more to knitters.. but i say hey yarn is yarn and i can use it for what i want.. LOL ... i buy really nice things there for accent or trim work.. as she imports most of her things and it could get quite pricey...

to be completely honest i found a lady on ebay that lives here in NC that gets some really nice stuff... she is about 160 miles from me .. so when i see something i like on ebay i buy it from her and that gives me an excuse to go pick it up and see what she has new in her ware house and of course spend more money .. its a nice way to spend a saturday really .. if it is something i have never seen her offer believe me i email about 50 questions and she is great she answers them all and then i make a decision.. she is super.. and really reasonable...i can get chenille on a 5 pound cone for like 5 to 7 dollars .. and let me tell you .. that is ALOT of yarn.... LOL .. that is how i have ended up with 200 pounds of yarn as of late and she is shipping me some stuff i HAD to have this week LOL .. and she offers up things i have never seen in a store so that makes the things i create even more special

well this is my tiny rental.. i didnt count the oh 200 pounds i have at home

LOL and her name is melanie

her ebay name is memc82

if you win anything tell her i sent you ... she would get a kick out of that

another reason i buy from her is that she uses her ebay money to pay for college for her oldest daughter.. and that makes me feel good that i am helping some one else..

• 3 months later...

I mostly buy yarn at Michael's because they carry Lion and Caron (my two favorites). Sometimes at Wal-Mart, but they mostly carry Red Heart (which isn't my favorite). I've bought some specialty yarns off ebay... some yak, alpaca, wools, ribbon, etc... I haven't really used any of it yet :blush but I wanted try it out. I would love to make a sample afghan out of nothing but specialty yarns using all kinds of stitches I don't know yet. :))

:sun

~Tricia

• 5 weeks later...

Wal-mart, Jo-Ann's, Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

I'm looking for a local place here. So far the one I found is too small and another one was closed.

There's one or two others that are supposed to be good but not sure how close they are.

My dream is to open my own yarn store someday. One of those perfect little stores that carries everything

Me too. My husband says go hard to find or high end. I say everything because Walmart runs out and doesn't carry everything. Besides who can sit, crochet, and chat in Walmart.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a little town in the beautiful Rocky Mtns of British Columbia, Canada.

I buy my yarn at Walmart or Zellers in the next town - both of whom have a really pitiful selection.

There are two small yarn shops within a 20 mile radius - but their prices are astronomical.

I dream of someday owning a store that is a combination yarn shop and bookstore.

Maybe one day ... :c)

Hook and I :fluffy

We have Michael's :U Joann's:U and Walmart :U

None have a good selection of color's or types.

Have to buy over the Internet. (Herrishner's, Mary Maxims)

Sometimes if I feel like traveling, I go to Ben Franklin's. I sure miss Lee Ward's.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived