Crochet Blanket Slanted

Raymond

Question

I am crocheting a blanket with sc, ch, sc.  then each row you sc in the ch, ch, sc in next ch.  to make it work after turning I sc in sc and sc in next ch, then ch and sc in next chain.  I keep count and have same number stitches/chains in each row.  However I notice that after I get 10 rows complete and lay the blanket flat, one side is straight and the other edge is slowly increasing in width.  I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

9 answers to this question

Hi Raymond, If you are certain that you have the correct number of stitches, then it could be that your beginning chain was a little tight and now the width is growing because your stitches are looser than your chain was.  I can't explain why it slants on one side and not the other, but i have had that happen with something I made.  

How many rows have you made so far, and how much has that one side grown?  

Welcome to the 'ville!  Hmm, we see this question a lot (why is my x getting wider?) but you've already done some sleuthing and eliminated the usual culprit of adding stitches unintentionally.

Can you post a photo?  Meanwhile this stitch pattern is one I can never remember the name of, I will try to find a pattern, BUT I'm pretty certain every row is not the same; the even rows start/end one way, the even ones another.

Hey Magic, long time no 'photo finish posting'!  :lol 

Edited by Granny Square

5 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Hi GrannyS!  Yeah I have not been on here much lately but I decided to check in today.  Always enjoy reading your posts, whether we are synchronizing or not 😎

17 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  Hmm, we see this question a lot (why is my x getting wider?) but you've already done some sleuthing and eliminated the usual culprit of adding stitches unintentionally.

Can you post a photo?  Meanwhile this stitch pattern is one I can never remember the name of, I will try to find a pattern, BUT I'm pretty certain every row is not the same; the even rows start/end one way, the even ones another.

This photo is a sample swatch, 50 stitches across and 15 rows.

I did a full blanket and the last row was 10 inches wider than the first row.8FDA4FB6-4156-4294-BECF-C32320BC076D.thumb.jpeg.5e37cc7134826551774ab05a1e9e8a83.jpeg

OK, Moss Stitch, Granite Stitch, Seed Stitch, Linen Stitch an probably other names

https://daisyfarmcrafts.com/crochet-moss-stitc/ -- this has you repeating the same 1 row, after the setup

Another version, that I remembered having a 2 row repeat, after initial setup.  Start with even # of chains.

Foundation Row: Work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 1: Sc in first sc, *ch 1, skip 1 sc, sc in next sc; rep from * to end. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Sc in first sc, *sc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, skip next sc; rep from * ending sc in next ch-1 space, sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Sc in first sc, *ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next ch-1 space; rep from *, ending ch 1, skip 1 sc, sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 for pattern.

7 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

OK, Moss Stitch, Granite Stitch, Seed Stitch, Linen Stitch an probably other names

https://daisyfarmcrafts.com/crochet-moss-stitc/ -- this has you repeating the same 1 row, after the setup

Another version, that I remembered having a 2 row repeat, after initial setup.  Start with even # of chains.

Foundation Row: Work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across. Ch 1, turn.

Row 1: Sc in first sc, *ch 1, skip 1 sc, sc in next sc; rep from * to end. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Sc in first sc, *sc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, skip next sc; rep from * ending sc in next ch-1 space, sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Sc in first sc, *ch 1, skip next sc, sc in next ch-1 space; rep from *, ending ch 1, skip 1 sc, sc in last sc. Ch 1, turn.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 for pattern.

Thank you.  I am going to try a swatch with this and see if it works evenly for me. 🙂

Thanks for posting a photo - your work looks great except for the slant.  I know sometimes on a big project my tension changes, not sure if it is because it gets heavier over several days, different mood from one evening to the next, scary chase scene on TV during one section, or what.  But your sample is too small for tension to be changing day to day!  Hopefully if one or both of the patterns I shared is different from the one you were using, it might make a difference -- good luck!