Yarn Winder

jenuine226

How do you keep the yarn taut when you are winding your yarn on a yarn winder? I just got mine in the mail, and I immediately sat down and started winding balls. But my first ball FELL APART after I took it off the winder because it was so loose! I'm thinking, I need to be able to wind the yarn tighter? Is that the solution to this problem?

I find that I like a fairly tight tension on my yarn when I am winding, because once I take it off, the hole in the center schooses in on itself and releases some of the tension. I usually just hold it with my hand applying some tension, but if I have a lot to do, it can kind of burn my fingers. So if I have lot to do, I just wrap the yarn around the shaft of a hook or pencil to apply the tension.

Also, be sure to "lock" the metal guide in position! The first two balls I wound, I hadn't figured that out (hmmm, why didn't I read the instructions??) Those two balls were very loose...The second two balls I did after I locked the guide in place were MUCH better...

Laurie:hook

Those are some good suggestions ... I was kind of guiding the yarn with my hand too, but then I had to wind slower because the yarn would burn my fingers if I wound it up too fast ... I thought to myself, "There has GOT to be a better way of doing this!"

I did put the yarn through the metal yarn guide and lock it in place ... but it still had a very loose tension. :( I must have wound that first ball last night almost five different times before I got it to be tight enough like I wanted and didn't fall apart when I took it off the winder. Is that normal? To wind it up fairly tightly so it doesn't fall apart when you take it off the winder?

I just received my e-bay yarn winder in the mail today and it didn't come with instructions. It's got a curly piece on the metal pole that I assumed was to hold tension, but I put the yarn through the hole in the curl and there is no pressure to keep tension. Did I do it wrong?

The metal ring "curl" thing is just a guide to prevent the yarn from falling down into the gear works. Which if that happens (happens to me when the kids help) is a royal pain to untwist, but it is possible with lots of patience. I haven't found anyway to wind with tension other than guiding it with my fingers or wrapped around a hook. (I like the hook better than a pencil or pen, because the hook is smooth and the yarn glides better.) I do a single wrap (so the yarn forms an X where it meets) for most yarn. If I am winding something bulky, I won't even do a wrap, but just use my finger to apply some tension around the hook. If it is something silky and slippery, I'll do 2 wraps. I apply a fair bit of tension to the yarn and then when it is removed from the winding spool it relaxes quite a bit. I don't know how other people do it, maybe they all just use it as is without tension, but I don't like have those super loose balls that fall apart if they are mishandled. I know you are not supposed to stretch yarn as you wind it, but I figure it relaxes when I remove it from the large centered winding spool. I am trying to figure out something I can have my hubby build for me that would apply the tension for me, but haven't had any brainstorms yet.

I don't have a tried and true system, I basically start one way, and then test the tension after I have a bit on the spool. If it is too loose/tight, I pull it off at that point and restart.

The other thing I do, is open and refold the wrapper so that it fits height wise, then I take a piece of plastic wrap (the kind you use in the kitchen) and make a strip long enough to wrap around the entire "cake" of yarn. Put the label on the "cake" then cover it with the plastic wrap and secure it with tape. This keeps the label with the yarn easily and if I don't have a label but know what it is I'll hand write the label on plain paper. It also prevents the edges or end from coming loose.

I have a device that is used for an iron cord, it is about 2 feet tall and has a spring at the base so it is flexable. I use that for adding tension. I got it at a thrift store. Most of my yarn is handspun, and I use a swift as well. Because they are skeins. If you wind slowly your ball will have more even tension. When I see wound balls for sale, they put a piece of raffia through the hole so it stays in place, with the center string of the ball attached so you can find your end.

Deb

The curly bit is just the guide, the tension needs to be put on with your fingers holding the yarn.

The way I do it is to put the yarn through the guide then hook it into the little slot in the top of the winder. This bit will wiggle waggle and create the ball but you must wind it in a clock-wise direction, putting a bit of pressure on as it runs through your fingers.

When the ball is complete, (dont go too big) un-hook the end thread before taking the ball off so the end is easy to find.

Any ball which feels too loose or too tight can be wound again with no problems.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen.:hug

PS Dont start a ball loose then tighten it on the outside because the middle will pop out and become a tangle. :devil:eek

Archived