Linked single crochet

Deeceepee

Question

I would be very grateful it if someone could tell me how to work Linked Single Crochet as I need it for a hat pattern I want to make.  I can find YouTube videos of Linked Double Crochet but none for single crochet.  Can anyone help me please?

18 answers to this question

On 2/8/2018 at 6:24 PM, Granny Square said:

Avon Lady, you've got it backwards.  UK doesn't use the term SC at all (a little jingle I found somewhere to remember it is "if it says single crochet, it ain't UK! )

US SC=UK double crochet

US DC= UK treble

US HDC= UK half treble

Edit, oops HI Magic :hi

OOPS!!  You're right!!!  People--don't pay attention to anything I say!!!   DUH!!!

Avon Lady, you've got it backwards.  UK doesn't use the term SC at all (a little jingle I found somewhere to remember it is "if it says single crochet, it ain't UK! )

US SC=UK double crochet

US DC= UK treble

US HDC= UK half treble

Edit, oops HI Magic :hi

It's an American pattern, so I have looked up a comparison chart of the terms and think single crochet is UK double crochet. I'll just try it in scrap yarn and see how it goes, I think.  Thankyou for your help. 

Is the pattern you're using in British terms or American?  Sc in British terms is the same as half double in American.  That could be the difference, maybe?

Thankyou very much for all your help.  I'll go for a look at it now.  I've been rereading the instructions and they aren't for Tunisian Crochet, but I can't see why it would be necessary to link single crochet as they don't leave big holes or spaces anyway.  I'm going to experiment before I start on the hat itself.  

Thankyou again for all your help.

Dee

Not sure if it's this one, it came up in the search for the designer's name...https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/kings-county-pork-pie-hat

The only thing I can think of for a video to help finding one for the Tunisian Simple Stitch (my bad, I should have spelled it out above).  It won't be exactly the same, but it would help you see the vertical strand they are referring to (I hope).

I' new to crochet so don' know what TSS is.  I'm sorry. 

The book is Clever Crocheted Accessories edited by Brett Bara.  I want to make the men's Pork Pie Hat on page 63 and  the instructions for the special stitches are on page 64. The pattern states it was designed by Antonio Limuaco, The Yarn Monkey. 

I was looking into that well when the above replies came in, and I agree.  Linked stitches are sort of a hybrid tunisian stitch, maybe you can check out tunisian stitch patterns?

Also, since it's such an unusual stitch, I'm surprised that the pattern doesn't tell you how to do it.  What is the name of the pattern, and the source ?

Oops, never mind, I was typing when you replied, I see they do give instructions.  Sort of sounds like TSS?  But not?

Thankyou so much for your quick reply.  It's exactly what I thought, but the pattern definitely uses both linked single and double crochet!  The instructions for the linked single crochet are

Insert hook through the vertical strand closest to the hook and through the next st. Draw yarn through both (2 loops on hook).  That's it!  No illustrations.  

Hi, welcome to the Ville!  

I think the reason you aren't finding info on it is that you need a taller stitch in order to make it linked.   I will check a couple of reference books and let you know if I find anything.  But I think you may need to choose a different stitch for the hat.  

Archived