Pattern Instructions in Foreign Language???

BrandNewBecky

Question

I picked this pattern because it's labeled "Easy Peasie Beginner," and I know how to do all the stitches needed for the blanket. I'm also familiar with crochet abbreviations. However, these instructions are not painting an "easy peasie" picture in my head:

1st row: (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in 5th ch from hook (counts as dc. Skip 2 ch). *Skip next 2 ch. (1 dc. Ch 1. 1 dc) in next ch. Rep from * to last 3 ch. Skip next 2 ch. 1 dc in last ch. Turn.

Could someone whose brain works in the necessary way PLEASE translate that into easy peasie language? What does the first set in parentheses mean? Why does the "counts as" parenthetical sound like it means something else entirely? 

Grateful for any explanation.

10 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

The making of it might be easy, but pattern reading is entirely different. Here's a site that will help ....

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

When you see something in (), it means do all in one stitch. So in the 5th chain, do a dc, chain 1, then another dc in the same stitch. 

Normally when you start a new row, you chain up. When you're on row 1, you skip the same number of chains as a new row's chain up. For example, ch3 for a dc row or start in 3rd ch from the hook for a dc, row 1. When a pattern starts with a non-typical chain, it'll often tell you why. In your pattern, it's a ch5. Chains 1-3 represents a dc stitch. Chains 4&5 represents skipped chains.

Your pattern is (dc, ch1, dc), skip, skip. With  (dc, ch1, dc) all done in the same stitch. Repeat the pattern across. Note: the ends are dc, skip, skip and skip, skip, dc.

I just deleted a post I was about to send, because Redrosesdz said everything I did.  The only wrong/odd thing was "(counts as dc. Skip 2 ch) ".  IMO it should have been written "(counts as dc.) Skip 2 ch" .  The "counts as DC" is informational about the part before it, the "skip 2 ch" is the next instruction you need to do, so the end parenthesis was in the wrong spot.  

This pattern?  https://s3.amazonaws.com/spinrite/WEB-Bernat-Blanket-C-EasyPeasieBlanket.pdf

i think  when it says counts as dc and skip chs, that is not entirely an error.  Skipping five ch sts gives you three ch that stand in for a dc, and two chs that count as chs.  

I do think maybe it should say counts as two chs rather than skip two chs.

I am getting over a migraine so I might be misinterpreting, but that's how it seems to me.  

Sorry about your migraine :(  Still have your google-fu intact, tho!

The thing that I find odd is that it the word order and punctuation; it sort of looks like a cut and paste error; it's saying the right thing, just oddly.  Normally you'd skip the first 3 chains for plain DC, and stitch into the 4th; I think initial chains are a DC, chain 1, and then the DC in the 5th (not 4th) chain makes that whole thing a V stitch.  At the end of the next row, it says to DC in last DC, which I'd take to be the 3rd chain of that initial chainy V stitch.

Thank you all for responding and explaining. I think I understand better now--and I'm relieved that you think the instructions might be worded oddly or awkwardly. I can feel less stupid. :-P  I think I'll try doing the stitches a few times with practice yarn to see how it looks and reassure myself that I'm on the right track. Thanks again!

Thanks Granny Square :)  Apparently it wasn't just a migraine, it was the beginning of some kind of virus, so not feeling too great today either.   None of that probably affects my ability to count though, since i make these kind of mistakes even on a good day---of course working onto the 5th ch leaves 4 ch unworked not 5.  

the pattern was easy to find, i just 'googled easy peasie beginner'   I apparently overlooked the fact that Yarnspirations put up a video about it, which might be real helpful ;-)        

Archived