Can't seem to find this Yarn

Mariam121

Question

Hello all, I hope you're doing well 

so I bought a pattern recently by Susan Carlson (Felted Buttons). It's the Vintage Fleur Baby Blanket. 

So it suggests to use the Lion Brand Baby's first Yarn, Bulky (5)  I can't seem to find that anywhere, in fact iv seen on some websites that it's been discontinued. Could anyone help! I'm so eager to start this blanket. 

5 answers to this question

You have two options, one is to try to find the yarn through the resale market which can be challenging.  You can start at Ravelry people sometimes are willing to sell/trade stash yarn.

The second option is the one I often end up using for my doll projects and that is finding a substitute yarn that is as close to your original project yarn as possible when the required yarn has been discontinued..  Bernat seems to have some baby bulky (5) yarns you might want to check out.  There may be other brands as well that would suit your project.  I don't work a great deal with chunky yarns so I'm not familiar with which brands make baby yarns, but an Internet search should yield you some options.

Yarn styles come and go at some yarn companies faster than others, I think Lion Brand is at the fast end.  You should be able to use any other brand of similarly styled bulky yarn.  Here is a site that suggests substitutes - the thing to look for, is that the original yarn comes in 120 yard skeins.  If your pattern calls for 5 skeins (example), that's 600 yards.  So if a sub has 100 yards per skein, you'd only need 6 skeins (arbitrary example, you'll need to do the math!).  Go by the yardage, not the skeins or total skein weight. 

Example, Softee Baby Chunky solids is 155 yards, so for my example you'd need 4 skeins.  (my example of 600 yards sounds too small for a blanket, I just picked easy math :P  )

I just re-read my post, and realized I'd forgotten the link I mentioned, duh!  This seems to have European and American brands in there, and may not cover all possibilities (Softee Baby Chunky wasn't there for example) 

https://yarnsub.com/yarns/lion_brand/babys_first

Lion Brand's own recommendation, and yarn info

http://www.lionbrand.com/babys-first-yarn.html

Archived