New project--stitch interpretation please!

Shawlmaker

Question

13 answers to this question

Whenever you see something in parentheses, it means 'do all that stuff into 1 stitch'.

Here's a handy site with conventional crochet terms (and lots of other good stuff too, look at the menu on the right).  Scroll down a bit, parentheses are around the middle of the page.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

What's the link to the pattern? 

There's an error in what you typed. Here it is spelled out...

Note: Chain 1 is the closest to the hook in my explanation. 

Chain 1 & 2: chain up for hdc

Chain 3 & 4: first ch2

Chain 5: hdc

ch2

Chain 6: hdc

ch2

Thin air: hdc

Hi, Kathy!

On 12/10/2017 at 2:03 PM, Granny Square said:

Whenever you see something in parentheses, it means 'do all that stuff into 1 stitch'.

Here's a handy site with conventional crochet terms (and lots of other good stuff too, look at the menu on the right).  Scroll down a bit, parentheses are around the middle of the page.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Thank you Granny Square:). Sometimes I need help too.

Krys

That's a nice wrap!

There's a comment section after the pattern. Write to her and ask. Hopefully she'll answer. 

In the meantime, I would chain 7 for row 1. It's not going to hurt to add 1 chain. If you do a couple of rows and it doesn't look right to you, rip it out. It's okay to deviate from a pattern, as long as you like what you create. The crochet police won't break down your door. ;)

You're so funny, redrosesdz! You've mentioned before how I don't have to stick to a pattern. The problem is, I don't know enough not to! LOL!

Do you all remember my baby beard project that I couldn't get out the gate with? The pattern designer sent me 2 beards to make up for the fact that no one could figure it out. Haaa So far, in my crochet life, I have selected 3 patterns. All 3 have been erroneous. Is this a normal thing with patterns?

Most patterns have been tested, but not all. I've found the most errors in patterns on an individual's blog/forum. I have found errors in patterns in books, but they're rare.

Most patterns on yarn websites, big name sites, like craftsy, crochet crowd, stitch diva, and well known designers, like Doris Chan, Tammy Hildebrand, Laurinda Reddig, are error free or have corrections. Most patterns in magazines, books and leaflets are error free, because of editors. Most vintage patterns are error free, because they've been made before. 

Ravelry and etsy are a mix. On ravelry, if there are projects and comments, it's either error free or has corrections. Also, it's more likely to be error free, if the designer has many published patterns. On etsy, they're usually quick to respond, because selling patterns/finished products is their business. 

Finding a good pattern tester isn't easy. The pay is usually a free copy of the pattern. When someone advertises for a pattern tester, they get volunteers. They're then at the mercy of the volunteer's skill level, experience and timing. So, some designers just don't bother with testers.

By the way, the above is just my opinion, not fact.

I just tried this: chain 6, HDC in fourth chain, and the rest as written.  It works, and makes 3 evenly spaced eyelets like the photo.

Second row has a teensy little glitch (too strong a word, really).  Before I get to the glitch, an observation: it tells you to do a V-stitch (hdc, ch2, hdc) into the chain loop (your first question), and then hdc into the next stitch - just fyi, in my sample the next stitch was slightly covered by the V-stitch so I had to dig for it a tiny bit--just to let you know so you don't accidentally miss it and get off on your stitch count.  The little glitch - at the end of the row, it tells you to end with 2 hdc in the next stitch.  There  is no next stitch here, but there will be in subsequent rows--for THIS row just make them into (over)  the initial skipped 3 chains of the foundation chain.  A little info to help you understand the structure: of the initial chains, the first 2 "stand in for" an HDC, so the top of the second chain from the end will be the top of the ending HDC in subsequent rows.  Just making it into the chain space is close enough IMO.

Below are the first 2 rows:

scan0017.jpg

Archived