Sign in to follow this  
Schalmake

I have a question about giant granny square

Question

Hello. I was wondering how many rounds in a giant granny square for a queen size blanket. I'm using a k size hook and red heart yarn.

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

You'll need to measure to get the size you want. You can start a square and measure after a few rounds. Then use the round count and measurement to calculate the total number of rounds.

A queen size bed is 60" x 80". If you want a topper, make a 60" sq., leaving space for pillows. If you want it to drape, make it bigger. Anything between 60" sq. to 90" sq.

The reason we can't tell you how many rounds is because we don't know the size of your stitches or how big you want the square. Your stitch size depends on your tension, hook size and yarn thickness. We know it's a K hook. We don't know which red heart yarn. Even if we knew which yarn, we wouldn't know your tension.

You didn't ask, but when making a giant square, turn every round or at least every few rounds. Crochet stitches slant. If you don't turn, your corners will skew. Turning cancels out the slant, making your corners square. I turn every round. 

I hope this helps! 

Ok thank you. The type of red heart yarn is the jumbo super saver light blue, orange, bright yellow and cherry red. And my tendons aren't tight but loose and how much I work on it quite a bit.

Even with that information, we can't measure for you. If you measure, we can help with the math.

Exactly.  YOUR tension is the variable that matters. You, Redrosesdz and I could each make a swatch and we'd have 3 different answers.  When you make your swatch, make several rounds and measure to the fraction of an inch (or use centimeters, easier to do the math).  Even then, tension can waver over a big project, when the piece gets heavier etc.  so be prepared to finagle something at the end.