Striped Beanie - lost pattern

Sromkie

Question

Hello! I was hoping someone could help me out finding a pattern based on a picture. A few years ago, I made this hat with a free pattern I found online. I have scoured my files as well as Google, and can't seem to find the pattern again. I have a friend who would like me to make them one of these hats, so if anyone knows the pattern (or where I can find it), I would appreciate any help in pointing me the right way, I have attached a picture of the previous hat I made. Thank you!

IMG_5550.JPG

7 answers to this question

I can tell you how to make a basic hat and you can follow the photo for color placement, will that work?

First, measure the head of the recipient or go by this range of head sizes.  This sort of hat starts with a flat circle, the diameter of which is related to the head circumference.  Circumference, divided by pi (3.14) equals diameter.  So, make a flat circle the diameter you need based on the answer to that math.  Then, work around the circle after you've achieved the diameter you need, without increasing, until the distance from the crown to the brim is what you want (the above site gives suggestions of that measurement but assumes you are folding the brim up, so you'll need to discount the fold-up that she suggests; if it counts for anything, I use 7" for myself, which might be on the shallow side).  You want to err on the side of rounding down (a little), because the hat will stretch (a little) but may not be desirable if it's floppy.

It looks like there is a combination of stitches, taller in the tall rounds and shorter in the black rounds.  Anyway, the 'recipe' to make a circle is:  SC=6, HDC=8 or 9, DC=12.  Those numbers are the number of stitches in the first round, and the number of stitches that you increase by in each subsequent round.  This tutorial tells you how to work in the round, and there is a link on this page that takes you to using that info to make a hat  I would make the beginning circle in DC; I think I'm seeing an increase in the top black round, but not obvious ones below that, so the flat circle may be all grey until the last round, then switched to black.

You will need to work in rounds, not in a spiral; in other words, each round is on 1 level, at the end you slip stitch into the first stitch, chain up, and proceed around.  When you are changing colors, you could also do a standing stitch, which is a little 'cleaner'.  Tutorial on standing stitch

As far as plotting the colors, just follow the picture. 

The ribbing is front post stitches alternating with normal stitches, probably DC.  You insert the hook behind the stitch in the row below, and stitch around it.  Here's a tutorial

Archived