Yarn Buying Questions

catwoman

Question

Hi.:D I was wondering if White Cotton Thread for making  table runners and doilies are hard to find?:(Is there a lot of brands names  for that kind of yarn?:)

Also is it hard to find chunky yarn and  super bulky yarn ?:(Is there any brands names for chunky yarn and super bulky yarn?;)

3 answers to this question

White cotton thread in size 10 is easy to find; I think Aunt Lydia's (made by Coats and Clark) is pretty common.  In fact, it's available in a HUGE size ball (2730 yards)  in white and natural that is what I've been getting over the years (less problem with running out mid-doily and worrying about dye lots, which DOES matter); I think the normal balls are 400 yards.  If you are looking for smaller sizes (20, 30), they aren't so easy to find in the stores, but you can get them on-line.  I've heard good things about Lizbeth thread which I've seen at JoAnns, but I haven't tried it yet.

Can't help with bulky, sorry, not my cup of tea.

For sizes 10 or 20 thread, I like the Lizbeth brand thread but I like the DMC Cebelia Crochet Cotton Thread even better. Costs a little bit more at some places but worth it. I buy these at my LYS and JoAnn's when I go out of town shopping. I believe they are currently on sale (online) at Knitting-Warehouse. In a pinch, I buy Aunt Lydia's at Wal-Mart if they have the color I want. This brand is stiffer to me than the other two brands.

Chunky and super bulky yarn seems to be in right now. AC Moore, Jo-anns, Michaels and Walmart all carry a variety of the store brand and the big brands, listed below. Hobby Lobby carries their own brand.

The big brands, Bernat, Lion Brand, Red Heart, Caron, and Premier all have chunky yarn online, too.

Archived