terkim99

Question

I am attempting to make my first graphghan, using SC.  The pattern is only 2 colors.  Part of the emblem calls for a row with 1sc of one color followed by 1 sc of another (alternating a few times during the row).  I feel like the stitches look messy with both colors visible when I alternate the 1 sc chains.  The other part of the emblem, with longer rows of solid color, looks fine.  Does anyone have advice for this issue?  Should I use separate bobbins for the alternating sc's (which would get cumbersome)?  Or should I plan to go back afterward with the same color yarn and try to mute out the bleed-through color?  The project is a special gift for my son, who is entering the Marines, so I am in a crunch with time too.  Any advice would be welcomed.

12 answers to this question

I am sure someone else will come in, but I use bobbins when I do a graph ghan.  You can get the larger ones for ww yarn.  They hold more and are not as cumbersome.

I am not sure exactally what the pattern is you are using.  Can you tell me what pattern, so I can get a better idea as to what your problem is.

I carry my yarn no more than 6 stitches and no less than three.  This way it is locked in and I do not have a lot of ends to weave in.

I would use bobbins.  I think you will find it so much easier and less tangling going on. 

You always change color on the back side . 

Are you changing color by making the change on the last stitch of the one color.  In other words, start sc, you have 2 loops on the hook.  Take the new color and finish the stitch.  Now you are ready to make the next stitch with the new color. You should not see the change that you are seeing.  I don't have a picture up close to show you how it should look.

The only other thing I can think of is doing it tapestry style, especially since you only have 2 colors.  The downside is the other color may peek thru a tiny bit, but it looks more consistent if that make sense.  Also it will probably take more yarn of the emblem color.   Upside, it looks neater on both sides, and no yarn cutting.  You could easily 'swatch' it right where you are on your current blanket to see what it looks like.  Take a look at tapestrycrochet.com.  Basically, you work over the unused all the way across the blanket.

Thank you, Tampa Doll.  I turn the crochet at the end of the row, so there is no back side.  Is there a way to do it without turning?  If I could keep it such that one side is good and one side is wrong, I would be ok.  

Yes, I do change colors with two loops of old color first and then add the new color to pull through (if that makes sense).

For normal crochet you have to turn at the end of each row. You pick the right side and wrong side. For example, odd rows, right side, and even rows, wrong side. Then use a stitch marker to mark the right side. The always move your bobbins to the wrong side and always carry on the wrong side. Keep the right side neat.

With graphghan, don't you crochet back and forth.  For example if you are look at a chart, you would crochet from right to left on Row 1, then you read the chart left to right on the 2nd row.  For me, that means there is no right side and no wrong.  I keep pulling up youtube videos to see.  I guess I will keep doing that.  

Re: the no turning...there are different ways to go about it (but you're right, normally you'd turn, and follow the graph in alternating directions as you described)...there is a link on working flat on the tapestry link I gave you.  One has you working same side facing but working the return rows left handed (I'm not ambidextrous enough to do this), or turning and more or less 'purling' (makes sense if you knit) on the reverse side - instead of sticking your hook front to back, you do it back to front.  But you don't have to do this for tapestry.

Also, you can cut the yarn every row (making a fringe at the sides), keep the same side facing, and just work every row from the front.  This would work with tapestry as well, and you'd have a nice 2 color fringe come to think of it.  Hmm.

Hi Granny Square...thanks for trying to help me.  Is tapestry the same as the afghan stitch or tunisian?  I'm too far along to start over.  I did find a video that shows how to work the "right side" and the "wrong".  I'm going to watch it again and try that.

I am also intrigued by the notion of clipping the yarn at the end of the row.  Hmmm.  That could work too.  

Okay, thanks again.  I have some good starting points to try tonight.  Will let you know how it works out.  :)

No, tapestry is normal single crochet.  You just 'work over' the unused color, then when you need the other color you pull up the new color and work over the other.  So, nothing new to learn unless you want to go with the fancier stuff in the 'working flat' video on the site I linked.

Yeah, the more I think of your design, the more I'm thinking working one sided in tapestry so the back side looks nice(er), with the 2 color fringe would probably be my choice.  You could try it on a swatch (without cutting, just pull the left end back to the right behind the work and back to the right, so you don't waste anything if you don't like it)

Good luck!

Archived