Can anyone help me find this (colour) yarn??

sodaceratops

Question

I've never crocheted anything before but I recently saw a photo of a crocheted vest that I'd like to make. The problem is that I can't seem to find the colour yarn that is the same as the picture. I can't tell if it's a bunch of single coloured or multi coloured yarns. I really don't know anything about yarn. I have no idea how much a skein even makes. If you recognize these colours or have some suggestions to make a similar looking end product, please let me know. I really love the bits of yellow throughout the vest. 

Also, the pattern I purchased suggests 65g yarn, is that something that's important? If I can't find exactly 65g is it going to drastically effect the end product? 

8 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

If we can find the pattern, it'll say what yarn was used. 65g is the weight of one skein of the yarn. The vest is a lot more than one skein. The yarn is variegated, which means multi-color.

You'll need to remove the pictures, since you don't own them. You're only allowed to post pictures that you own. You are allowed to post the link to where the pictures are located. The link will help us help you.

The vest looks like an intermediate pattern. Crochet patterns come in beginner, easy, intermediate and advanced. If you've never tried crocheting, I highly recommend starting with a how to book/video/class. Then do some beginner patterns. Work your way up to easy and then tackle intermediate. Learning a new craft takes knowledge, practice and a lot of patience. Starting with intermediate is like trying to run before learning to crawl and walk. If you start too difficult, you're likely to get frustrated and it won't look like the picture.

That doesn't mean you can't make it. It just means it'll be easier once you have some experience. Finding yarn is the easy part.

Agree that it's variegated yarn, you can see in the big photo the edge fan shapes, worked in rows, are different from one another.

Google image search says it's this pattern: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/bohemian-vest   Ravelry has a feature that lets you see the yarns that members have used to make it, by far the most popular are Premier Serenity, and Red Heart Unforgettable.  The pattern calls for sock/fingering weight yarn, which I believe the Serenity is, but the Unforgettable is worsted weight so you'd have to modify the pattern quite a bit to get the armholes in the right place.  (edit, the pattern says it has instructions on how to adapt for different sizes so maybe this would work for different yarn as well)

In any event, you want a yarn with a lengthy span between color changes to look similar to that photo.

That Mandela vest on ravelry isn't the same as the op's pics. It's very similar. The fans on the outer edge are different and to me it looks like there are no arm holes in the op's pics. There are a lot of Mandela vest patterns out there.

Mandala?  I went with the Bohemian vest pattern I linked because that's what Google Image search came up with--the same pic as the one in post 1 is on Pinterest, and  named the Bohemian vest on Craftsy (source of the pattern on my Ravelry link).  The Craftsy pattern pic is in Autumn colors, but definitely the same pattern as the blue version above... 

To the OP, I missed your edit about the yarn requirement until just now.  I always err on the side of rounding up, and half the time I need at least part of the "extra" skein I "shouldn't have needed".  And, always go by yardage/meterage, not grams.  As far as knowing what you can make with 65 grams of sock yarn...I can get a pair of (knit) socks out of one 50-gram ball, that have short 5" cuffs, with nothing left over.  For another 15 grams I could add a couple of inches on each cuff.

I can't tell how many total yards/meters the pattern calls for because it is a paid pattern, but I'm looking at some of the projects on Ravelry and I'm seeing people having used around  2100 yards of fingering weight (the weight called out on the pattern).  If you pick a thicker weight yarn, you will need less yardage, but it would be hard to tell how much (there's not a hard an fast rule, it depends on a lot of factors like the stitch pattern, your tension, hook size, your tension, etc.).  Also, to your questions on the colors - the pattern recommends Deborah Norville Serenity Garden yarn, if you click the link you can see what color combos that comes in...not sure if your pic used that yarn, and I'm really terrible at visualizing what variegated yarn will look like worked up but I'm not seeing your picture colors in any of that selection (lots of pretty options, though).

edit, I found another link for the same pattern on etsy, it seems to call out 11 skeins of the Serenity yarn, a 65 gram skein is 185 yds/169m, so if you buy another brand of fingering yarn you'd need 2035 yards / 1865 meters.  You might have to do a bit of math if your other brand skein's yardage/meterage is different. 

Awesome advice folks! I didn't realize that you could see the projects on ravelry, you just need an account (I hate making accounts). Anyhow, I contacted the lady who made the pattern and asked her if she knew what yarn was used because I still couldn't find the specific photo under projects. I've been using the yarn that she said it was but it clearly isn't the right colour. I'll post a photo of how it's coming along. The colour is way off so I'm kind of sad about it. I definitely don't think it's something I'll ever wear because it's too colourful. 

Any suggestions on what I can turn it into would be great?

I would've taken up crocheting had I known how easy it was. Knitting was a real pain in my arse when I tried it once when I was 12, took me 2 years to knit a scarf. But I've only been working on this project for a few hours and it's gotten pretty big. 

20171007_134824.jpg

Ooh, pretty colors, and nice job on your first crochet project!.  Do you have any family members or friends that might be thrilled to be gifted the finished vest?   Maybe a baby blanket if you keep going in the round, since it's pastels.  

You're doing great for your first project! It's very pretty.

Sometimes yarn manufacturers change the dyes. So, even though the band around the yarn has the same name, the colors can be different. This is especially true when the yarn is dyed in different years. (How you know that you're getting all the same color is to check the dye lot number.) The dye lot that the designer used is probably different than the one you got.

Another difference may be the pictures. Lightning can completely change a color. Do you remember the black/blue dress that looked white/gold? I've taken pics of projects that turned out to be a very different color than reality.

Archived