Sleepy Times blankie

darski

Question

5 answers to this question

This is a little different, isn't it?  The part that's not making sense to me is right at the beginning - why you are going from 163 chains (which would yield 161 DC if you were working straight DC), then skipping stitches to end up with 139. (I think that's a boo-boo, see below)

The chart makes sense; it's divided into columns of steps (the thick vertical lines divide the steps), so reading right to left you do the stuff in A1 once, the stuff in A2 once, then repeat the stuff in A3 21 times, then end with the A4 section (once).

A1 = 6 stitches, A2 = 1 stitch, A3 = 6x21= 126 stitches, A4 = 6 stitches ... 6+1+126+6=139 stitches

So...this is all making sense except why on earth don't you just start with 141 chains, which would get you to 139 finished stitches.  I'd try that...what do you think?  Unless it's supposed to create a gather at one end by losing 22 stitches??  Like a baby's bath towel hood (but, it doesn't look gathered)?  'Tis a puzzlement.

if you read the first row carefully you see that you dc in 6, sk1.  I think that is what gets you to the 139

A-1 says to do 11 rows of plain dc but I cannot see any set of 11 rows of dc.

I think I will just work from the special st chart and just work it as I see fit.  I also plan to work in WW so I will have to  adjust my stitches to work in that.

Thanks for your help - it is confusing

Right, as I said the number of chains and the skipping stitches in the first row didn't make sense BUT everything else does.

And, I should have noticed this yesterday, but the difference in the too-many-chains (22) , is nearly the repeat of the fancy section A3 (21), so you could just chain 162, and just follow the diagram (which doesn't show the skipping stitches, first row is all DC with no skipping) and do an extra A3 section if the wider measurement works better for the size you want.

59b93242a930d_testdrive.jpg.2fb12e8a8b000ddf2c80d4d29002cd16.jpg

I did a test drive to see how this all works out.  the ch1 spaces on row 1 make no sense.  I will delete them - I suppose it set up the 'design over 6 sts' but not needed,  I could actually see doing a ch1 mesh row but we will see.

they make the chart unnecessarily busy by marking a dc over a ch sp with that dot.  TMI

I plan to use a larger hook (this is 5.5) with the WW yarn as the design row is too closed in for the test.  needs to be more open.

I think it will work and I am going to try it.

Thanks all for your help.

Archived