Magic ring

LibraryLady

Question

Hi all, I recently learned the magic ring/adjustable loop and I love using it except for one thing. When I close the ring by pulling on the yarn tail, one loop is drawn neatly up into the ring, while the second loop goes about halfway. From what I've read, you're supposed to keep pulling until the second one is drawn in, but I've been finding this nearly impossible. When I do manage to tug hard enough to get both loops in, I often split the yarn inside the magic ring and it looks messy. A few times I've actually snapped the yarn by tugging it too hard. Is there a trick to getting the magic ring closed? Thanks!

14 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the Ville!

What directions are you following to do the magic loop?

I have difficulty with it unless I use the adjustable or sliding loop version. Will find a link and post it

There's an alternative to the magic ring that I use. I'm a klutz with all the magic ring methods I've tried.

Chain 1 + the number of chains needed for the stitch (chain 2 for sc, chain 3 for hdc, etc.) Then make all of your round 1 stitches in the first chain. It will expand. Capture the tail under the stitches. Pull the tail when done.

Hi all! Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I will look at the other threads. This is the method I've been using: http://www.crochet-world.com/blog/?p=7618  I tried a few others and always had problems with them. With this method I can *usually* get the ring closed - eventually. But I'm currently working on an amigurumi project and started a new piece last night. I could not for the life of me get both loops to close and had to start it over about three times before I gave up. I just tried again this morning and finally got it, but it's so frustrating...

I had chimed in on the thread noted in post 3...I use a slip knot, which is designed for pulling tight and there's only 1 thread in the loop BUT you are crocheting over 2 threads-- 1 is the tail that you pull closed at the end.  (This might be the sliding loop version?  Starting with a loose slip knot is so simple, and we all use slip knots anyway to start every project, so i never explored further).  

If you look at the last pic ("j") in your link, using a slip knot as your base would look like that  when you were ready to pull tight except In the gap between the 2 ends of the circle that you are pulling shut, there's only 1 thread not 2; I've never had a problem pulling the loop shut.  The only tiny bit that doesn't have 2 threads as a base is where they join.  Just make sure you weave the end in securely, which you'd do in any version; I've not found it to be less sturdy than other methods.

I think GS's slip knot method is similar to my chain method, because I never start with a slip knot.  I always start (both round and flat projects) by just twisting the yarn so that the tail lays over the yarn.  Then I slip my hook into the loop.

I seriously hate knots in projects, so I don't start or end with a knot.  In stead of knots, I make sure that my tails are a bit longer and woven in really well.  I've never had trouble with something coming apart.  The other plus is that it's difficult to tell where I started or ended anything.

There's an alternative to the magic ring that I use. I'm a klutz with all the magic ring methods I've tried.

Chain 1 + the number of chains needed for the stitch (chain 2 for sc, chain 3 for hdc, etc.) Then make all of your round 1 stitches in the first chain. It will expand. Capture the tail under the stitches. Pull the tail when done.

Sharon I just LOVE to use magic ring on all my amigurumi. I think that is the best "invention" since sliced bread! LOL.

Krys

Hi all! Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I will look at the other threads. This is the method I've been using: http://www.crochet-world.com/blog/?p=7618  I tried a few others and always had problems with them. With this method I can *usually* get the ring closed - eventually. But I'm currently working on an amigurumi project and started a new piece last night. I could not for the life of me get both loops to close and had to start it over about three times before I gave up. I just tried again this morning and finally got it, but it's so frustrating...

Ok, this is interesting....the link you posted seems like a good description; I know I've seen it before and I feel like at some point I may have recommended it to someone....  However, when I compare it to the one in Edie Eckman's book, I now see that the Crochet World tutorial omits the last steps.  After you pull the beginning tail to tighten it, you have to also pull on the other part  of the ring.  So no wonder it's frustrating!  

I linked to the Eckman directions in the other thread but I'll link again here https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Square-Crochet-Motifs-unexpected/dp/1603420398/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8  pg 10-11 on the look inside feature.  edit---Oh, I found an online tutorial by Edie that has a great explanation of the final tightening-up.  http://www.lionbrand.com/blog/author/edie/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/page/2009/09/17/motif-afghan-crochet-along-welcome/

Personally i often feel that any kind of "magic" loop is more trouble than it's worth so i just make a small chain ring, work into that, and use the yarn tail to cinch the ring as tight as I want it.  As we can see from posts here there are many ways to handle this so feel free to choose the one that works best for you!   :hook

Ok, this is interesting....the link you posted seems like a good description; I know I've seen it before and I feel like at some point I may have recommended it to someone....  However, when I compare it to the one in Edie Eckman's book, I now see that the Crochet World tutorial omits the last steps.  After you pull the beginning tail to tighten it, you have to also pull on the other part  of the ring.  So no wonder it's frustrating!  

I linked to the Eckman directions in the other thread but I'll link again here https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Square-Crochet-Motifs-unexpected/dp/1603420398/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8  pg 10-11 on the look inside feature.  edit---Oh, I found an online tutorial by Edie that has a great explanation of the final tightening-up.  http://www.lionbrand.com/blog/author/edie/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/page/2009/09/17/motif-afghan-crochet-along-welcome/

Personally i often feel that any kind of "magic" loop is more trouble than it's worth so i just make a small chain ring, work into that, and use the yarn tail to cinch the ring as tight as I want it.  As we can see from posts here there are many ways to handle this so feel free to choose the one that works best for you!   :hook

Wow, you're right - that looks exactly like what I've been doing, but it goes a step further! LOL, I just put away my project for the evening (I was at that point where I couldn't stand to look at it any more) but I will try that tomorrow. I was experimenting with a couple other variations today and I was having the best luck with one where you cross the yarn over your fingers in an X and crochet through ONE loop plus the tail, but I am definitely more comfortable with the version I posted, so I'm glad there are further instructions. Thanks again all for the tips! 

thanks!  I'll have to watch that again, but at first glance it looks like it'd be awkward to get started, for me.    

It IS awkward! I was able to do it, but the other method is so much better. I can't wait to try the last steps for pulling the loops in. 

Archived