making a square into a blanket size

LadiBug329

Question

I want to adapt this pattern as a square blanket.  Its from Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/projects/chitweed/crochet-dahlia-squares-pattern which this is an adaptation of this square, also on ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-dahlia-squares-pattern

I need advice...do I continue the pattern with different rows as different stitches, or should I add the "true" granny stitch in a few rows before starting this pattern of stitches over again?  I am planning to use this same color scheme too. 

I don't want it to be too heavy or get wonky.  

Thanks for your advice.  Its for my grandson who is 3-1/2 yrs old.  I want to make it big enough he can use it as he grows - so more like a 60-70" finished size.

8 answers to this question

Two things to be concerned about:

(1) Things worked in the round (even square things) have to have a correct proportion of circumference to diameter to avoid ruffling or cupping, so you might have a little trial and error to add/subract stitches here and there to keep it flat as it grows.  I don't see why some rounds of plain granny blocks would hurt, it's a design choice;  a regular repeat would look nice (the linked square, some granny rounds, the linked square stitches again, more grannies etc), but those mandalas with all the crazy things happening willy-nilly pattern-wise are cool too.

(2)  Giant granny-squarish things tend to skew when they get big.  If it were a plain granny, I'd suggest turning every round to keep it reversible and to avoid the skew...for this, where some stitches are one-sided (look better on one side), I'd suggest turning on rounds where the backside facing front won't matter as much.

(2)  Giant granny-squarish things tend to skew when they get big.  If it were a plain granny, I'd suggest turning every round to keep it reversible and to avoid the skew...for this, where some stitches are one-sided (look better on one side), I'd suggest turning on rounds where the backside facing front won't matter as much.

Yes, I have that problem and usually turn the work every couple rows when working granny squares.  

Was also thinking the granny stitch on a few rows and/or the v-stitch would help it not ruffle or curl so much.  

I'm going to pull from my yarn stash and work on this tonight...goal to get the whole square done, then work out whether to use Vs or Grannys, and when to use stitches from the original square.  

I was checking out her ravelry projects and she has some really nice pieces in her project file.  She had a shawl that had alot of neat stitches as a border...one was a fan style stitch and another stitch to fill in and make a straight edge...thinking this might look pretty awesome on this too.  (the tan and brown rows)  http://www.ravelry.com/projects/chitweed/sunday-shawl

That looks like it is going to be cool!  I just want to add my 2 cents on the weight, though.  60-70" is queen size, according to the Crochet Crowd's chart of afghan sizes.  That is way too big for a 3 & 1/2 yo.  I made my 28 yo son a queen size afghan for his birthday a few years ago.  That thing is heavy!  It is mostly SC.  Some of the stitches in your square are thicker and denser than SC.  Another thing to consider is that in a few years you're going to get the urge to make him another one and another one a few years after that.  I recommend making it for the size he is now.

It will most likely end up being whatever size it is when I get bored with it. Probably closer to a lap size. I have more unfinished blankets than I haven't finished because I get bored working on 1 project...picked my hooks up about 12 years ago...and have only finished 3 blankets. Probably 7-8 that are bagged and more that got frogged for the yarn. I am hoping with so many stitch changes boredom will come much later.
I came home and searched all my yarn stashes. Not going to start tonite afterall since I don't have the shade of brown I need, or the shade of blue...so I will visit Michaels bogo sale before their sale is over!!

I went to Hobby Lobby and got what colors I needed.  Decided since most of what I had already was ILTY I would stick with that throughout.  Almost finished the "square" last night too.  Each row so far is a color change, and alot of tails to weave in.  I think once the initial square is done, I will do at least 2 rows of each color, and different stitch for each color.  I think its going to be a "see how it goes" afghan.   :yes

Archived