Gauge help with repeats

starfloater

Question

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help me.  I am trying to make my second blanket to donate to charity and I can't get started because I'm stuck understanding the gauge in the pattern.  It says to repeat and 9 rows but I can't figure out what am I suppose to repeat.  I have attached a photo. Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm still a beginner and trying to understand terms. Thank you in advance for trying to help me!

It states: Gauge: In pattern, two repeats and 9 rows =5''. Does this mean that I need to do a few of the clusters then measure them? Is a cluster a repeat?

11 answers to this question

Hi!

First, you'll need to remove the photo.  It's against forum rules to post photos that you don't own and to post pictures of patterns.  It's okay to post your own photos and to type the parts of instructions that you don't understand.

A gauge is not that critical for an afghan, but it will give you practice doing one.  What it means is to follow the instructions for the first rows, but not the whole thing.  The repeats are given once and then again within asterisks (or stars) followed by repeat across or X many times.  They want you to do what is within the stars twice for 9 rows.  That should measure 5" by 5".

When you're doing a gauge it's always a good idea to do more than what is suggested.  The edges are unreliable for measuring.  So, you should do 4 repeats and at least 11-13 rows.  Then measure the 2 repeats in the middle to get the width.  Measure the middle 9 rows to get the height. 

For an afghan as long as you're close to 5" each direction, then it's good.  If you're under 5", switch to a larger hook.  If you're over 5", switch to a smaller hook.  Repeat the swatch until the measurements are close to 5".

Thank you again for the help  with this. I finally finished it after so many months! Here is the finished project. I tried doing this blanket 5-6 times before I finally got to finish  it. While I was doing it I kept  trying not to make it bunch up but it still did it. Is it still an acceptable blanket or should I start over again? When folded a certain way the corners don't meet horizontally.

2nd blanket.jpg

i think the issue is that the border is a little tight.  That makes the main part look a little bunchy.  Honestly I wouldn't worry about it.  I'm sure whoever gets it will appreciate it .  Despite this slight imperfection, it is very pretty!  

I doubt if steaming would change it, but tell us what exact yarn you used.  Different fibers respond differently.  

^ what she said!

It's a very pretty blanket!  You did a great job.  :)

The corners are never going to be perfect when folded.  This is because crochet stitches slant.  So, while the blanket appears to be square when laid out flat, it's actually slightly skewed. 

It looks to me like the yarn is acrylic.  You can't iron or steam acrylic, because it will melt.  Check the care instructions on the yarn's label.  If it's machine wash and dryer safe, then wash and dry it and leave it at that.  If you want the initial presentation to be as flat as possible, then wash it and block it.  (Note: blocking only works for acrylic until the next time it's washed.)

Here's how I block large projects:

1. Wash or dampen the blanket, depending on care instructions.
  2. Make a sandwich on a hard floor or low-pile carpet.
    1. Towels
    2. Crochet project
    3. Towels
    4. Steam or lightly iron the towels to provide some heat to the project.  If ironing, use quick, short strokes.  Do not leave the iron in one spot.
    5. Cardboard or books
    6. Weights of any kind
  3. Remove from the sandwich in 5-7 days.

Thank you all for responding, it's very nice of you all! It is made of acrylic and the instructions states wash gentle and dry low so I will wash/dry and attempt to block it.

I think it's lovely as is, and the recipient will love it.   Maybe tie a care card to it, "machine wash on cool setting, best results if laid flat to dry" (which sort of implies finger blocking into place).  This might be good advice for the ribbon, too.

Archived