Teaching A Friend to Crochet...Tips?

I recently posted about crocheting at the kids' sports practices and gymnastics meets, how weird I must be because I never see anyone else doing it. Well now that I've donated my latest project to the gymnastics team raffle, suddenly other moms are interested. :yay

One mom approached me tonight and asked if I could teach her how to make one of those fun fur scarves. Um...sure...but could she crochet at all? I asked. Nope. I told her I'd be happy to teach her to make a fun fur scarf, but that might not be the project to start crocheting with! Fun fur can be tricky. Most people knit them. But I don't knit. I can knit, a little...but I'd much rather HOOK!

So I agreed to give her crochet lessons at the gymnastics practices. But where to start? I told her the first step was to crochet chains just to get used to holding the hook and thread properly - I think that's the biggest challenge, like learning to hold a pencil to write. Crochet YARDS of chains, chains, chains. Frog them and do it again till they're all uniform size and you're fairly fast. Then move on to SC and DC and let her make her first scarf - NOT in fun fur. After she makes one scarf in regular yarn, maybe she can do a fun fur scarf.

Think I'm on the right track? It's hard for me, since I learned SO long ago, it's like I don't even remember how I learned. I do remember doing chains, chains, chains.... :P

I'll probably have to buy her a hook, as people who want to learn never seem to make their way into the craft section at the store, yet I'm there all the time. I've already supplied 2 neighbor girls with new size I hooks and got them making chains - maybe I should just buy a few to stock up! :hook

I learned chains, single and double crochet all in one afternoon from my aunt when I was 10. My first project was a baby blanket (alternating rows of single and double crochet) out of regular worsted weight yarn. Though I did have some scrap yarn to play with - just make swatches and stuff.

Though perhaps because I didn't just learn chains for so long that mine are still somewhat uneven. (but I also know lots of people who say, "All I learned was chains", so that's why I think teaching at least one stitch early is good.)

If a scarf is too much at once, how about a dishcloth? Or small squares to turn into a blanket or afghan?

I only use Fun Fur on my round knitting looms anymore - the only way I can keep track of it and the other strands of yarn you have to use to keep it from stretching too much.

You know, I saw a tip for teaching kids how to crochet, but I think the tip would be great for anyone and that was, to have a foundation chain and possibly one extra row of sc done and have one start learning sc, dc and so on off of that...(after you've shown them how to hold the hook and yarn...) You can still teach the chain stitch, but I've noticed from trying to teach others in the past that the foundation chain can make or break a person's desire to continue...

I would have a 10 to 20 stitch foundation/1s row sample ready and teach the sc first...and work backwards...and I used that tip in helping my cousin learn to crochet beyond the chain stitch. She could chain stitch until the cows come home, but she was stuck on how to make the next row...so I had the sample ready and she took off from there...and when she felt comfortable, then I had her do a chain and try that first row off the chain and she had no trouble then.

I also explained about using a larger hook for the chain stitch and a smaller hook for the rest (like when reading a pattern that calls for a "G" hook, using an "H" or "I" hook for the chain...that was a trick that even my cousin's mother hadn't used before and for her that was like hearing a message from God, because she crochets fairly tight...

The Yarn Council has other tips for teaching others how to crochet...

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/teach.html

Scroll down to about the middle of the page...and look for 10 tips from the pros...good stuff...

I've learn't the hard way over time that where ever i go with my crochet i have to take at least 1 extra hook about 5mm and a ball of 8ply [worsted you call it] with me because i always end up teaching someone in a waiting room in a bus terminal or at a hospital. Its a pain if you dont have something extra on you and its only a couple of dollars but i only buy the cheap plastic hooks for this. My mother was suprised i took my crochet to hospital waiting rooms at all i don't know why i even take it if i'm going shopping with other people as i hate shopping so i sit on a bench and crochet till they're finished. But always i show how to chain and do sc so they have something to take away and they can choose what they want to make. Also is it me or do others get approached in craft stores for advice by other shoppers on needles and yarns? It seems there are never any staff around or they let the customers ask each other if they are there! Good luck

When I did my Crochet Bee with my cousins, I made them all bags that held a pencil holder for their crochet hooks (I found the coolest, cutest pencil holders in Canada, they were animals...a dog, lion and an elephant (I think it was an elephant, that last one) anyway, their mouths were another pocket and I could put in a tape measure, like a tongue) the little pencil holder could also hold a pair of embroidery scissors and a pen or pencil...in the big bag (that I made out of old pillow cases) I put in a crochet magazine and a some skein of yarn and a pad of paper for them to make notes...I made them swear an oath that when they don't use the stuff, they have everything put away (because otherwise everything would be lost...)

Now, I'm not going to do this for everyone at every Crochet Bee in the future, but for my cousins with this first Crochet Bee, sure...and I think it was worth it...and yeah, I went a little on the cheap side with the hooks and the embroidary scissors and all...but they appreciated it.

Over here, I get approached all the time by Germans...who think I'm a German, that is until I open my mouth...and even then it doesn't necessarily stop them from asking for directions and such...

I think it's great that you're like a wandering crochet teacher...I know it might be a pain...but it's almost like you're the Johnny Appleseed of the crochet world here...good luck in your future endeavors...

Thanks so much for all the hints on teaching crochet. I was asked to teach a group of Girl Scouts to crochet. I guess they will be doing it to work on one of their badges. I was wondering if the Lion Brand Claudia Clutch would be a good thing for them to start. I thought it is just single crochet and we could just use 1 strand of yarn. I had never heard of giving them a pice that had already been started. ( Like chain and first row of sc) but that sounds like it would be an easier way. Thanks again.

I'm teaching my sister to crochet. I want the beginning steps to be easy for her, so she'll not get discouraged. (She's a careful and hesitant learner, concerned about getting it all done right.) I think the hardest part of crochet is crocheting into the foundation chain, so I decided to skip that altogether for now. Who wants to start with a frustrating thing?

I made two swatches of single crochet - something like 20 stitches and 4 rows. I sat next to her, and demonstrated single crochet on one swatch. She copied using the other swatch. As both swatches used the same brand and thickness of yarn, they looked pretty much the same, and that helped. Now she's going back and forth doing rows of single crochet, and her work looks just great.

I left her with both swatches to practice on, in case she somehow manages to mess up one of them. I gave her one of my favourite beginner crochet books, because I wanted her to have photos to look at if she feels stuck. And if she happens to feel adventurous one day, she'll find that the book contains directions for the foundation chain and lots of other stitches, too.

Anyway, this is working for us so far. I figure that if she can get to the point where single crochet seems really easy, then that will be a good foundation for everything else.

<< Also is it me or do others get approached in craft stores for advice by other shoppers on needles and yarns? It seems there are never any staff around or they let the customers ask each other if they are there! <<

You're right -- each visit to Michael's I am approached by one or two other customers for suggestions and help in their yarn or pattern choices. And most of the ones who ask me for help go with my suggestions! :-)

A quick suggestion, not to deter ayone from learning or teaching crochet, but if she only wants the one project and isn't extremely interested in "crochet" pick up a knifty knitter in the smallest size and use fun fur on that to make a tube scarf. They are all the rage and are very easy to make this way. It would give her the project that she wants and is alot easier to do. My 4 yr old even does it.

When I first learned to crochet, I was taught the double-crochet stitch. And now, every time I teach someone to crochet I start them out with the double-crochet stitch too. Oh, and definitely with regular yarn before Fun Fur!

Have fun! I love teaching people the fine art of crochet and I teach it quite often. :)

Archived