Vintage Pattern Predicament

StayLoopy95

Question

I'm working a vintage dress pattern which starts at the hem and works up to the waistline. For some reason instead of getting smaller it's getting wider as it goes up, I started with chain 232 for a M/L and now I have 247. I know I messed up around the back closure line but I have no idea how, I've been working 10 tr, 3 tr in the next stitch, 10 tr, skip 2 the whole pattern. In my head I can't understand how that would make it get smaller but can't find anything in the pattern I did wrong. Please help! I've been working on this forever and I need it to be right. Thanks!

post-79060-0-23006100-1483930700_thumb.png

post-79060-0-14013300-1483930810_thumb.png

post-79060-0-30993000-1483930829_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

according to the site guidelines, we are not supposed to post photos or scan of patterns.  you can read the guidelines in the town hall section.

have you counted the stitches in each "hill" and "valley" of your rows?  in the photo of the back it appears that you have too many stitches in the sections on either side of your joining point.  you have probably accidentally been increasing there.  possibly other places as well.  it is easy to do in chevron patterns .  it can help to place markers to indicate the first and last stitches of the row, and between each chevron to make it easier to count,  

Thanks! I'll remove the photos and be more specific, I'm new here. I know I haven't been crocheting two in the same space around the back seam so maybe I accidentally added some at the seam when I finished off with a slip knot. I'll try to fix it without unraveling the whole darn thing.

I agree with Magiccrochetfan, ripple patterns are the devil because you must count the stitches at every up and down hill--They look easy, but they are the opposite of a mindless pattern.  It is really easy to drift off the count.  One thing that looks really off is the area right above the b in "back" in your pic; it looks like you are going to have to rip back nearly to the beginning.  One thing that might help is getting stitch markers to mark every hilltop and valley bottom, it will help you count.  I like to use bobby pins, they're super cheap and don't fall out easily or snag the yarn.  In this pattern, the eyelet holes in the valleys should help you quickly spot if something is off, they should all line up nicely in columns, so you may just need markers at the center of the hilltops.

It's a good idea to read through a pattern before you pick up your hook, to make sure you understand all the bits before you start.  Looking at the photo, it does look like there is some narrowing in at the waist area, if that's what you meant by decreasing - the ripples look smaller there, which could either be decreases or switching to a smaller hook.

Archived