Gauge Questions/Help

Question

Hi.I was wondering what to do in the block pattern in order to get the gauge?  and what this means in this patterns gauge?.

It says : 7 dc + 4 rows = 4 inches in Block Pattern?.

It also says in the pattern the Stitch Explanation       Block- 3 dc in indicated st or sp ?.

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

It sounds like you might be making a pattern worked flat that looks the same as a Granny Square, which would be skip 1 stitch, 3 DC into  the next stitch, skip 1 stitch, repeat (so the 3 DC "block" will have 1 stitches unworked before and after it; there may be partial 'blocks' at each end so it evens out).  

I would make a chain about 6 inches long, and start your pattern.  Turn when you get close to the end of the chain and don't have enough room to make another block.  Continue to work the block pattern for 6 rows.  It's a good idea to make a gauge swatch a little larger than 4", the edges can be distorted and measuring the center 4" is more accurate, so you will be measiring rows 2-5 and a little bit in from the edges.  

It sounds like this pattern uses a really bulky yarn and a huge hook, for only 7 DC to be 4", that's nearly 2 stitches per inch!  7 DC would be 2 blocks, plus 1 stitch of the next block (assuming my guesses about your pattern are correct).

:hi Hi Magic!

edited to correct goof in first paragraph.

Edited by Granny Square

the pattern is made in the round and it doesnt include any directions to make a gauge swatch, so in order to make a flat swatch you would have to adapt the in the round block pattern to doing it flat which will involve half blocks at the edge on alternate rows. if you want to, you could use as a guide a tutorial like this http://easycrochetpattern.blogspot.com/2012/10/crochet-granny-stripe-afghan-tutorial.html

what i would probably do if i were making this is to just start working it and after you have about 6 rounds done, then measure it for gauge.  I'd say as long as you are in the ballpark, it should be fine as it is a very forgiving garment.  if you are making it for yourself you can start trying it on to be sure its big enough. 

it is a really huge gauge, Homespun yarn on an N hook.  

Ah, I made that pattern, (except with a less bulky yarn) a long time ago, actually I made a bunch for Christmas presents one year.  Basically, it's made like a granny square, except with only 2 corners not 4 (and a neck hole in the middle).  It starts at the neck/center, so if you just start the pattern you won't have gotten TOO far/too many rounds before realizing that the gauge doesn't work.  And....you'd have to be horribly off gauge for it to matter-- it would have to be too small to go over your head, or too big so it slips off your shoulders for it to be a problem.