Granny bedspread border?

Charis

Question

Hey, I'm just about to finish this huge granny ghan (big enough for a queen bed).

Do you guys put a border row around the outside of the blanket to finish it off?

7 answers to this question

I agree with Kathy.  A single edge of SC in the matching edge makes a nice finish.  It doesn't need anything more than that.

My definition of an edge is one round of SC that matches the outer edge of a project.  It's purpose is to make the project look finished.  It hides any imperfections (like where the joins are) and makes it look polished, because the edges all look the same.

My definition of a border is adding more rounds after edging.  It's purpose is to add size to a project and/or turn a plain project into something fancy or frilly.  Borders shouldn't compete with the project.  They should compliment it.  If you really want a border on something that's already big, consider doing a second row of SC or the crab stitch.  

I agree with the above, so often I see borders on projects that are sort of...lipstick on a pig, they detract rather than enhance.  

A simple border as mentioned above would be ideal; if you used one same color to attach the squares, using a row or 2 of SC in that color would bring it all together nicely.

I guess I'm even wondering about the row of SC around the blanket. But I think I'll do it. It just looks nicer and finishes it off. Thanks gals!

Why not leave it unbordered for a while, look at it various times throughout the day and see if you really think it needs a border at all?  It may look fine without it.  like i was trying to say, sometimes i don't edge/border things at all because they don't need it.  

That's a good idea (think about it for a few days).  This works for me in various ways, like when I get stuck on a pattern and I have to think about it, or the pattern says X but I didn't like the look of it but it takes a while to come up with a Y that I like...

Sometimes I'll add a shell border (5-dc shell, sk 1, sc, skip 1, repeat).  But it really depends on who I'm making it for, and what yarn I'm using--I just "wing it"!

Archived