Opinions

Ina McNees

We all know that it dos not pay to crochet. No one would pay even a minimum hourly wage for crochet time or even half of that. And I do understand that, I would not pay either LOL.

But that is besides the point I will try to make here.

That pricing estimate (2 or 3 times cost of material) for work never made any sense to me. For instance IF the same blanket would be made with a very expensive yarn instead of SSRH yarn so the price for work could triple-quadruple or even more?.

And I am not even talking here about other crochet items. For instance Amigurumi. Usually not much yarn is needed for that. But sometimes takes me a week or two to make one it all depends how complicated and how many parts & other..is needed (not mentioning it is very hard on hands that very tight crocheting). And that doesn't take even one skein of yarn. And that would not make any sense either. Because comparing that to a blanket that I could make in the same time and use maybe 6 skeins of yarn. Hmm?? :)

Krys

Krys, I agree that the prices for some crocheted things don't make sense to me either; people are setting prices that don't come close to a decent wage for their time.  it's because at craft fairs and the like, people are still looking for bargains.

I do think, though, that some people may be able to sell amigurumi at prices that reflect more of the time and workmanship, and not just a multiple of the yarn cost.  and in some markets, items made with more expensive yarn could still sell for several times the cost of materials, as far as i know.  

i've never sold anything i made, these are just my observations.  

I love giving my opinion. :lol

The way I do pricing is a bit complicated, but works for me. As I work, I keep track of the type of sts I do and the number of them. Then each type of st is worth so much money, Sc is 1 cent, hdc is 1 1/2 cents, dc is 2 cents, tr is 2 1/2 cents. I don't often use fancy sts, but when I do, I decide price at that time. I prefer to make items fancier with colors.

Most of my work is done in sc because I want the tight fabric it makes, so it's not too hard to figure out my base price for items. Then I add to this the cost of materials at the normal prices, even if I bought it on a special or sale. That little bit of profit is mine for my patience and care in watching for sales and buying sometimes in bulk to get the absolutely best prices. I'm the one with a large investment, not a potential customer.

I also take into account the size of the finished item and the hours it took to make. Once an item is done and I have a general base price in mind, I'll put it up or down according to size and hours.

For example, I made the most adorable little owls and put them on keyrings. Yup. Those little suckers took 4 evenings a piece to make. I never would have believed it. They took so long to make there was no way to put a reasonable price on them.

So, that's what I do.

In your post, you don't say how big the blanket is in the picture, what yarn you used, or how long it took you.

I think it's favorable in terms of selling because of the colors. Bright colors are "in" right now. Also it looks like you've done a good job.

Krys, I agree that the prices for some crocheted things don't make sense to me either; people are setting prices that don't come close to a decent wage for their time.  it's because at craft fairs and the like, people are still looking for bargains.

I do think, though, that some people may be able to sell amigurumi at prices that reflect more of the time and workmanship, and not just a multiple of the yarn cost.  and in some markets, items made with more expensive yarn could still sell for several times the cost of materials, as far as i know.  

i've never sold anything i made, these are just my observations.

I do not sell my stuff either. And I never would because I know the price tag would leave me very depress!! LOL

It make me feel great just give my crochet stuff away to my family and friends:).

Krys

Things  you need to take into account how expensive was the yarn, how long it took to make, how complicated the pattern ie what was the level of skill required to create it.

What other costs might there be involved in selling the item such cost of where you sell, will you accept paypal payments if add in those costs as well.

Always remember you are not selling to yourself or you own econmic social group ie you have to find your target market.  In the case of hand made it's higher end product it's not a as you Americans say a Dollar store item.

There handmade is a special item someone will buy as a more expensive gift for another person or by someone who has more expendable income and is used to buying higher end items and special one off items.

If you can't afford to pay the price you ask then don't worry you are not your economic target market.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived