The saga of my 2016 North Carolina State Fair project

crochetbug13

This project began it's life as my 2015 North Carolina State Fair project. Without going into all the sad details, I did not finish it in 2015.

I cried for about 15 minutes when I realized it wasn't going to happen, and then I dried my tears and went out to dinner with my husband and son and rechristened the project my 2016 North Carolina State Fair project.

Now I am 26 days out from the deadline with more work than I would like to have left to do, but it is looking  -- as long as I don't get sick or break anything and as long as every one in my family doesn't get sick or break anything -- like I will probably finish in time for the high noon deadline of October 10. 

But I don't like the whole probably aspect of it.

Here is where I am with the project as of September 13, and here is one of the motifs:

post-43348-0-59105800-1473868712_thumb.jpg

Well, I will be first in line to see it LOL.... looking forward to it!

I'm going on the 1th I believe... and after breakfast at the Methodist tent ( best breakfast on the midway), and then some of those little donuts I'll head to the crafts!

ONLY 23 full work days left and my kitchen is dirty and my cat's litter box needs to be cleaned and my son needs to practice driving!

Oh heck, I need to get myself some blinders so I can just focus on my state fair project, I got a bunch of embroidery ends woven in on Wednesday and then helped my husband back for a business trip and got a start on two more crochet crazy quilt motifs and finished (I think) one.

I also got myself registered for the fair (today is the last day) with some help from Denise Walker who works for them. (Thank you, Denise!)

Here is a link the blog post that documents all this adventure!

Did not do perfectly well with the whole blinders idea, but I did make progress, particularly figuring out how to make an almost perfect triangle more times than not.

The whole making crochet crazy quilt pieces has been kind of hit or miss, and the time crunch created by missing makes me hyperventilate which leads to a cascade of unproductiveness.

So here is the new post with pictures of my progress:

http://www.crochetbug.com/a-practically-perfect-triangle/

Thankfully a friend lent me some crochet mojo, and I made reasonably good progress the past couple of days finishing up a crochet crazy quilt brick house piece, as well as finishing a couple of others and starting on others still. You can read about it and see it here. Trigger warning for yarn snobs: I love Red Heart Super Saver yarn and say so in this post. Repeatedly:

http://www.crochetbug.com/cheap-thrills/

It takes me f-o-r-e-v-e-r, but I think embroidering on crochet is really awesome. If you can post a picture in a reply, I don't know how to do it, but I am overly proud of the "flower" things I made with a bunch of French knots. For me French knots are like potato chips; I definitely can't have just one:

http://www.crochetbug.com/to-be-or-knot-to-be/

I'm getting a little nervous about getting my main project done, so I took a step back and started a small sweater to generate some finishing mojo. Sometimes when I go too long without finishing a project, it's like I forget how, so this is a little something to get my finishing mojo kickstarted (along with a few more crochet crazy quilt pieces completed):

http://www.crochetbug.com/the-waning-days-of-autumn/

Oh goodness!! I adore the afghan you are working on. That is awesome. I would love to do that sometime but really doubt without a pattern that I would ever be able to come up with something like that. However, I do love it and really hope you win at the fair!!!

Archived