F.l. Benton

Question

What did I do wrong???

​Using Lily's Sugar n Cream 100% cotton, I first made a 12 x 12 washcloth.  Tossed it my eldest son and said 'see how you like it'.  He liked it just fine but for the color running across the bottom of the bathtub.  After being washed you could see just how much it had faded.  But no shrinkage or other problems.  Ok, search up how to set color, read 3 different ones and went with my own mix.  

(1 part epsom salt to 12 parts H2O and 12 parts white vinegar) or 1 tablespoon epsom salt to 3/4 cup water and 3/4 cup white vinegar.  Water was cold.  Let sit for 30 minutes and squeezed out,  put the cotton items in the washer (already filled with cold water) (no soap) let the washer run the full cycle and popped items into the dryer with a dryer sheet.  

No sweat!  I'm like going to have half a dozen market bags to take to the farmers market, use a few and maybe someone will say, 'hey, I need one of those!' and sell one or two.  If not I have what I need for grocery shopping!  Win, win either way...right?   

Maybe not!!!!  When the dryer stopped I was MAD!  All over all the bags were little balls of lint!!  Ok, calm down, deep breath....sat down with one bag and gave it a GOOD shake--nothing.  Run over the bag with a lint roller--a few came off.  Started to pick them off one at a time AND....it was pulling on the yarn, leaving little tails everywhere!!!!  

My pretty market bags in 3 different styles all looked like they had been rolling around under the couch where the vacuum won't reach!!!  True, I get to keep all of them for myself now, but....what the 'darning needle' happened????????

6 answers to this question

I've noticed the colors fading on cotton yarn also!  Maybe you should have just popped the washcloths in the dryer after the treatment(without the wash cycle)??  Anyone else have any secrets to color fasting cotton?

For selling things, I suggest hand washing them gently 1 at a time (as you finish each item) with a little soap & hot water rinsing thoroughly--several rinses until it stops 'bleeding', especially if you are using multiple colors so the 'bleedier' color doesn't set on the other color.  Put just that 1 item in the drier until it's just a little damp and 'hand blocking' a little and laying flat to dry; I find pilling is half the yarn itself, and half what the yarn grabs from other things it's washed with.  If it pills on the buyer later, well...

Sorry, I'm not a dying expert, but I think some things work for protein (wool) and others for plant fibers.  One thing I did see was that vinegar and heat was a mordant used to set a specific type dye for wool, but it was an 'urban myth' that vinegar without heat would set dye.  Here is something even more interesting, that home remedies including those you mentioned don't work and may even make bleeding worse.  (link is a PDF file so you'll need a PDF reader).

Thank you both for your help!!    :ty Avon Lady and Granny Square!!!   

I have since learned that 18 year old men don't always hear what Mom says!  "Son, will you please wipe down the inside of the washer and make sure there is no other laundry in it.  I want this stuff to run by itself."  Must have been heard as, 'here throw this stuff in the washer and start it.  Yeah leave those socks and towels in there.'

I am in a wheelchair and our home is way too small to use it.  So I have my bedroom setup for my crafting.  Unfortunately, my sons have had to pick up on everyday household tasks.  I call out instructions but.....live and learn.  Just wish that something was said before I posted it here.  :embar

Archived