Back again. Can someone please help me with a pattern?

Tomit316

Question

I am still working on a wavy chevron style baby afghan. I have changed patterns several times after several rows of deciding something is just not right. And also ripped out several times after trying each pattern. Now, I have attached three photos of my work this time. My pattern calls for foundation chain in multiples of 12+3. So, I decided to go with 144+3. I know I'm supposed to have same number of stitches. It doesn't look even on both ends to me. So, I guess my question is is my count supposed be 144 or 147. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please advise.

post-77348-0-19056400-1463703674_thumb.jpeg

post-77348-0-21418900-1463703690_thumb.jpeg

post-77348-0-66826800-1463703708_thumb.jpeg

19 answers to this question

Because I come up with 144. Which is not what I think it should be. But I started with 147, so I'm not sure why my count is 144. I get 144 on my last full row as well. If that end is slanted but the other end is straight, what could I be doing wrong?

I'm glad you're determined to finish this out. One point I think is important is to use the stitch marker in the 11th st as instructed in the video. It helps to stay oriented on the final stitches of each row.

Also, this link is for the website to the written pattern that has some very informative info on the stitch count and instructions. Sure hope this helps. :)

144 + 3 = 147 chains, should work out to 145 DCs. (on a straight piece),  And yes I believe you should be counting the top of the ch-3 as a stitch (at least, that is very very typical).

Your pic shows 12 valley bottoms, and only 11 hilltops (looking at the final row of your first pic's orientation, and assuming the very ends are 'hillsides'.)

Therefore, you have 1 more set of decreases than you do increases.  What is the decrease scheme on your pattern, is it DC2tog, (which decreases 1 stitch)?  Assuming the increases match (2 DC into 1 stitch), this would have you ending up with 144 total stitches.  (145 if there had been the same number of hills and valleys, subtracting 1 stitch for the extra valley)

edit--I just looked at the pattern linked in post 3, that pattern increases 2 at the hilltop, and decreases 2 at the valley bottom, so you'd have 143 total stitches using this pattern because of the extra valley.  And, it does count the ch-3 as a stitch.

Once you get this set up, count each the 'hill/valley' unit as you go, and the total # of stitches will take care of themselves.

It might help to put a stitch marker in the center of each hill and valley,  I like bobby pins, they're less expensive than purchased stitch markers and don't snag or easily fall out.

Ok, I want to see if I understand. She states in the pattern that the ch3 does count as a stitch. So, when I'm counting my stitches, I should be coming up with 144 or 146 on each row? I understand about making each hillside, hilltop and valley as a unit and they should all be the same. But when i get to end, Am I counting the top of the ch3 ? In my head, I'm thinking yes. But I think I'm confusing myself on how many stitches I should be coming up with. Or I'm overthinking, which is very possible. I'm probably making it a lot harder than it really is. Lol

I've made 2 ripple blankets, one 40 years ago as a beginner and one just a couple of years ago, and I had to rip rows repeatedly on both because my stitch count drifted.  It's easy to go into autopilot, but you really have to keep counting.

I turned the last pic upright and blew it up, it was a little fuzzy and I'm not 100% certain but it looks like you're adding stitches at that end.   The bottom row looks like the edge is just past the bottom valley.  A few rows up it looks like you are adding stitches (as if you were reaching the top of the hill) where you shouldn't be.

Repeating & expanding a little on Magiccrochetfan's advice above (edit, and Sarisue, I was typing as she posted), treat the stitches in each hillside, hilltop, and valley as a unit and make sure each unit's stitch count matches

Example, (not your pattern necessarily, was hard see)

hilltop = +3

side = 6

valley = -3

Usually you can see the drift, the hills and valleys get uneven (little hills, big valleys or the reverse)  but I'm not seeing any obvious unevenness except at the one end.

Also enhancing another point made above, in DC, if you want 144 DC, you chain 146 (2 more than the number of stitches).  Normally, when you start the first row, you skip 3 DC and make a DC into the 4th DC.  Now, examine those 4 chains in your head.  The skipped 3 chains act like 1 DC, and the 4th holds a 'real' DC.  So, over 4 chains, you have 2 functional DCs.  A lot of folks think that you should add 3 because the turning chain is 3, but not so.

I think it should be 144 too.  I can turn it for you but it's hard to see the stitches for me so maybe someone else can see them better. Check the whole sections of  the rows and make sure they correspond the same as the pattern. Sometimes there can be a mistake you missed

post-10430-0-91714900-1463759930_thumb.jpeg

i think 144 is right.  you should have 12 sts in each section. the turning ch3 counts as a stitch.

the slant could be because the initial chain was a little tight, and/or because your tension has loosened up a little as you went along.  

Can you post a closeup of the slanted end?  

You maybe right. I haven't been crocheting long enough to know. But I welcome and appreciate any advice. I have taught myself to crochet by watching videos and reading patterns over and over again. It makes sense what you said. I am going to keep counting and starting over or whatever I need to do til I get it because I like the way this blanket looks. And now It's kind of made me more determined to get it.

Tomit, this post probably won't help you, but maybe somebody who is good at crochet math can check me out here---

shuoldn't the beginning chain be a multiple of 12 + 2?  12 for each chevron, and 2 for the top of the turning chain.  12 + 3 for the tch is actually 13 sts.  

why do you think your stitch count is wrong?   How many stitches do you have in the first row?  And in the last row?

one thing to remember in a ripple pattern, because you have increases and decreases, remember to only count the "heads" of the stitches.  dc2tog turns 2 sts into 1, so only count that as 1.  if you try to count the legs of the sts you will count more sts than you should.  

also remember that each section should have the same number of sts.

But I wrote down the pattern as she says it since I have used a couple other patterns and have started over several times. Surely all those other patterns weren't wrong. I think it's in my counting and I must be counting something wrong.

But I wrote down the pattern as she says it since I have used a couple other patterns and ha be started over several times. Surely all those other patterns weren't wrong. I think it's in my counting and I must be counting something wrong.

is this what you are using?  

well I don't know how to link to the youtube page, but there is a written version below the video on the page, if anyone wants to look at that.  i found it by googling: wavy chevron blanket 12+3

it is from Crochet Hooks You

what is the name and location of the pattern you are following?

your piece looks very straight on the right side, but the left edge looks a little slanted.  

go back and count the stitches in the first row.  you should maintain that number throughout.  each \ /  of the patern should have the same number of stitches.   

Archived