Stuck on my pattern, please help!

Poebe

Question

I'm making my first jumper and am a bit lost.

Starting on the back piece I have worked the square but starting up the shoulders has confused me.

Pattern says:

Now work piece back and forth and dec for neck in the middle of the first side of square. Cut the yarn and skip the middle 6-6-8-8-10-10 repetitions (= neck) on the first side of square, continue A.3 with inc in the corners until row has been worked, do not work over the 6-6-8-8-10-10 repetitions skipped at beg of row. Fasten off, piece measures 25-27-29-31-35-38 cm / 9 3/4"-10½"-11½"-12 1/4"-13 3/4"-15" from middle (50-54-58-62-70-76 cm / 19 3/4"-21 1/4"-22 3/4"-24½"-27½"-30" in total), there are approx. 7-8-8-9-10-11 repetitions on each shoulder, and approx. 20-22-24-26-30-32 repetitions along each of the other 3 sides. Insert 1 marker in each side, 16-17-18-19-20-21 cm / 6¼''-6¾''-7''-7½''-8''-8¼'' down from shoulder, this shows where sleeve is sewn in.

Am I just working the shoulder section or work all around the square again?

Where am I increasing stitches - around the neck or end of the shoulder?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/170-2-janis

OR http://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=7411&cid=17

Would really appreciate some help.

4 answers to this question

You have been working in the round to this point correct?

Now you work "back and forth"

It looks like you work until you get to the 6-6-8-8-10-10 repetitions then turn and go the other way working rows.

What ratdog said.  I think it's just the shoulder.

Drops write confusing instructions, in my opinion.  One thing that helps when there are instructions for multiple sizes is to go through the pattern and highlight only the instructions for the size you're making.  It makes it a tiny bit easier to follow.

Welcome to the ville!

I think you are to work all the way around the piece, but leave a large notch for the neck opening. I think you are still to ncrease at all four corners. If i am reading it right, like Sharon said i think Drops patterns are generally confusing.

I think the thing with Drops patterns is that they're translated from (Danish?) and they are written at a non-beginner level (like you find in a lot of vintage patterns)

If you scroll all the way down, there is an outline diagram of the garment showing measurements.  

What you have made is a big circle. Imagine that circle superimposed over the middle of the diagram, you have to make the odd shape to fill in each end of the circle to make the rectangle.  To do that, you will be squaring off one end (working over half or less of the circle stitches), finishing off, then reattaching to square off the other side of the circle.

Ah, Hi Magic!  Typing slow again..

Archived