Baby Clothes Questions

Jayashiangel

Question

So I know there are lots of yarn options I am mostly talking about shopping at places like Joanna's, Micheal's, Walmart, Hobby Lobby or a Thrift store. So for me I am locked it to what that have in the store vs ordering online... So my questions area as follows..

Q1--> Making a newborn to 4 years old dresses what yarns would you use? Cotton (like Sugar and Cream?) or something else? I have seen people make dresses using the cotton but my concern I know what my was wash clothes look like after washing them the stitches (dc open up more so the washcloth is very holey)

P.S. I live in Arizona but do send things to people back east....

Q2- Do you think say red heart super saver yarn is too rough/thick for a newborn baby sweater or pants? as I have lots of super saver yarn in boxes to use up....

Q3- I guess my basic question is what yarns do you use? LOL :think

4 answers to this question

Go to the baby section.  Several manufacturers make baby acrylic yarn.  It'll say "baby" on the label.  I've used a few of them and they're all decent for making baby clothes.  The clothes are soft, not too thick and most importantly wont' cause an allergic reaction.  My latest was in Bernat's baby softee.

In MHO, for a baby/toddler dress, I've enjoyed using Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton because of the softness and, well worth a try.

I used RHSS for baby blankets, but, softened with laundering and unscented fabric softener. I don't use it for clothing except scarves, gloves, hats, etc.

For clothing, I mainly use a 3 weight (or lighter) acrylic, cotton or natural fiber like bamboo mix yarn. Or even a acrylic-cotton mix works well.

One project you might like for your stash-busting is Bed Runners. They're faster than blankets and look pretty at the end of the bed.

Hope this helps a bit. I know choosing yarn can be a bit daunting because there is so much to pick from.

I wouldn't use kitchen cotton for wearables, it's sort of crude stuff .

There's nothing wrong with acrylic; I (knit) sweaters for myself out of RHSS, I don't think it's scratchy, but it is WARM (some don't like acrylic because it doesn't 'breathe', but I get chilly in the winter and I don't mind!.  For crocheted garments though, I'd personally choose a finer gauge than worsted unless it was really lacy and meant to wear something underneath.

...I see Reni has just posted and said about the same thing!

Archived