CGOA Across the Board 2015 CAL

March is National Crochet Month, and the Crochet Guild of America is going to be kicking off the festivities with a very special crochet-along (CAL).

Did you know that one of the many benefits of joining the Crochet Guild is free access to exclusive crochet patterns for members only? It’s true! And beginning February 29th, we’ll be hosting a CAL for CGOA’s members-only Across the Board Crochet 2015 afghan pattern.

The Across the Board afghan was designed by CGOA’s own board members. It’s made up of seven different strips, each of which feature a different crochet technique. If you ever wanted to expand your crochet skills, now’s the time! Some of the featured techniques you may have never seen before, plus we’ll be having giveaways throughout the CAL!

The CAL will run from February 29th - June 19th, and everything you need to know about it may be found on this post on CGOA Now!.

Note: While the pattern is free, you do have to be a CGOA member in good standing to download it.

You know I belonged to the guild a couple years ago and other than receiving an emailed newsletter every so often, I got absolutely no benefit out of joining.  I never found any "free" patterns for members only.  Never got anything.  Never even got a "we miss you" email when I didn't re-up my membership!

I'm so sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you brought this up, because this is actually something that the board members have been concerned about in the last few months--that crocheters don't think there is any benefit to joining, so why join? This, quite frankly, was my own feeling about it for the longest time. I do know that the board members are focusing this year on helping members get the most out of their membership, though, which is part of the reason they started this CAL. They realized that many members don't even know they get free exclusive patterns like this one.

I also think you experience more from being a member when you join a local chapter. I can't speak for all of them, but I discovered my own local chapter has been a wonderful resource for me as a crocheter. They have monthly classes that teach new techniques, an ongoing charity project, and are discussing planning a retreat for later in the year. If you decide to join again, I would definitely recommend checking out a local meeting. :)

There are a number of patterns for squares from 8-10 years ago. And the magazine subscription comes with membership.

You also get discounts at several places (Lion Brand, Annie's, Mary Maxim for example) although I tend to forget about them when I'm ordering. I do get the Joann (think they call it) VIP card which gives you a 10% discount and is supposed to require membership in a professional organization.

Archived