Altering a pattern for a different weight yarn?

setsunaluvr

Question

My best friend is starting up her first semester of college next week, and I thought I would make her some fingerless mittens as a gift. I have some alpaca fur yarn that I thought I would use for the project, but the pattern I found that I liked uses worsted weight yarn, and the alpaca yarn is super chunky.

Does anyone know of a way to alter a pattern for a different yarn weight? Because that would be perfect.

3 answers to this question

I've never made fingerless mittens, but I've altered patterns by using a different weight yarn a few times. 

The first thing to try is to match the gauge, if the pattern has one.  It might take a few tries, but make swatches at least an inch wider and taller than the given gauge and measure the middle.  If you can figure out the right hook size to get pretty close to the gauge and it's not curling, then you're ready to use the pattern as is.

The next thing to try is to match the measurements in the pattern, if given.  If the pattern is done in long rows, do fewer rows.  If it's done in rounds, do fewer stitches.  If it has a stitch pattern, try removing 1 or 2 of the entire pattern (instead of repeat X times, do repeat X-2 times.)  Keep trying it on to make sure it fits you.

Third thing to try is to grab some cheap, worsted yarn and make one mitten.  Use this to measure your work in the actual yarn.

Is it a free pattern?  If so, give us the link, maybe we can give you more detailed advice after seeing the pattern.

In it's simplest form, fingerless mitts are a tube that fits around the palm, with a slit for the thumb, that goes some variable distance past the wrist but generally stops just short of the first finger joint beyond the palm.  This could easily be achieved by throwing your pattern away* and either making a rectangle (to fit your palm, hopefully your friend has similar sized hands) and partially seaming it, or making it in the round, turning each row, and just not joining for a few rows for the thumb hole, then rejoining and continuing.

If your pattern looks like a glove with the finger tips cut off, I suggest not trying to modify it using super bulky - it would be uncomfortable (extra bulk of fabric between each finger).

*I'm assuming you picked a pattern with a plain SC or DC pattern; if you are using a 'fur' type yarn, any more complicated stitch pattern won't show up.  Also, keep in mind that a pattern you liked in worsted won't look the same in super bulky.  Here are some patterns written for bulky and super bulky yarns, maybe one of these come close tot he one you liked?

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&view=large_photos&query=fingerless&weight=super-bulky%7Cbulky&availability=free&sort=best

Archived