Pattern decipher help

Elahoward05

Question

Hi everyone I am making some arm warmers and I have come to a spot in my pattern where I am confused. Here is what it says:

Ch 1. Sc in same st. (ch 1. Sk next st, sc into next st. sc 1 in next st.) work three times. Sc 17. (ch 1. Sk next st, sc into next st. sc 1in next st) work three times. Ch 1, sk next st. Sc into last st.

Thas the whole row(it's to create button holes) could someone please walk me through how to do this row

Thank you

6 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!

you do the part in parentheses the number of times it says to.  so you do the (ch 1. Sk next st, sc into next st. sc 1 in next st.)

three times.  then you sc 17.   then you (ch 1. Sk next st, sc into next st. sc 1in next st) three times.  

does that help?  

I'm usually pretty good at deciphering patterns, but this one has got me stumped, too.  I get the ch 1, skip to create a very small hole.  But, I think they want you to do two different things by saying "sc into next stitch" and then "sc 1 in next stitch", yet the instructions mean the same thing.  Otherwise, why didn't they just say sc in next 2 stitches?  Also, parentheses typically are used to indicate what to do in one stitch/space and asterisks are used for repeats.  So, either the author is poor at pattern writing or they're trying to convey something that I'm not getting.

What is the link to the picture and/or pattern?  If it's in a book, what's the book name, publisher, date and pattern name?

Is there special instructions either before the pattern starts or at the end of the pattern?

Are the buttons really tiny?  Are there two sets of 3 buttons close together in the picture?

What is the row before that row?

Why aren't arm warmers being done in rounds?

What is the link to the picture and/or pattern?  If it's in a book, what's the book name, publisher, date and pattern name?

Is there special instructions either before the pattern starts or at the end of the pattern?

Are the buttons really tiny?  Are there two sets of 3 buttons close together in the picture?

What is the row before that row?

Why aren't arm warmers being done in rounds?

I guess because they fold around the arms.

I agree with the above interpretations, and with being put off by the punctuation and the oddness of the phrasing of 'sc into next st. sc 1in next st'.

There are some great pattern concepts that you will find on blogs, but unfortunately the writers don't always use standard terms and pattern writing conventions which can result in ambiguity and confusion.  As said above, parentheses normally indicates that a group of stitches are to be made into 1 stitch; brackets or asterisks are used to show repeats.

Here's a link to US pattern writing conventions, scroll down to 'parentheses, asterisks, and brackets'

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html

Archived