Chart help

Iheartyarn1990

Question

I created a chart to incorporate a design into my crochet hat. I used single crochet stitches but I don't like how stiff, almost cone like way that the top turned out. How do I rewrite the chart for double crochet? Also, if i were to seamless round would the chart still work? Or will the design be a little off?

Any help is appreciated!

I wanted this hat to be a gift but I really can't stand the finished product.

6 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

You could make the top of the hat flatter, by making more increases in your first rounds.  For sc, the following will keep your spiral flat until you start the sides...

Rnd 1: X sc's in a ring

Rnd 2: 2 sc's in each sc

Rnd 3: 2 sc, 1 sc repeat around in each sc

Rnd 4: 2 sc, 1 sc, 1 sc repeat around in each sc

Rnd 5: 2 sc, 1 sc, 1 sc, 1 sc repeat around in each sc

Increase the distance between each 2 sc by 1 for additional rounds. 

When it's as wide as you want, start the 1 sc in each sc to curl for the sides.  You can also reduce the contrast between flat and the sides by putting in a round of 1 sc between the increase rounds.

Note: If you don't want the top stitches to look like a spiral, vary where you put the 2 sc.  As long as they're evenly spaced it's doesn't matter where you put it.  For example, on round 4, I'd make it 1 sc, 2 sc, 1 sc, repeat around.

Jayashiangel and I were having the exact opposite results with hats; pancaking as she refers. In the same thread, I used a solution that I have since found works for eliminating the cone look also. Please refer to this in post #7. Maybe it will help.

If you want to give it a re-try with a bigger hook, here is a tutorial on how to make a hat of that style (using any size yarn & basic stitch) that will fit anyone; it's all about the diameter of the top circle.  In the third paragraph, there's a link to making the basic circle; on the page I linked, if you scroll down, it will tell you about the fit; basically, measure the person's head, and make the circle so the diameter, times pi (3.14), equals the head measurement or slightly less, since hats stretch.  Example, my head is 21", so I should make my hat circle diameter about 6 2/3", then stop increasing.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html

Archived