Ran out of Yarn

Jayashiangel

Question

What would you do? I ran out of scrap yarn making a baby blanket and need more yarn to complete- Baby Green/Baby Purple/Baby White

Option one spend $20 for more of the same colors?

Option 2 pick up different colors (pale yellow)- and complete for cheaper?

6 answers to this question

What i would do would depend on the purpose I was making the blanket for.  If it is for a charitable donation, so the main consideration is warmth, then I would probably finish it with the yellow.

If it is for a gift, I would be most concerned about appearance and I would buy more yarn and finish it as originally planned.  

I would really hesitate to throw in a new (and clashing) color. You have cool color stripes, yellow is a warm color.  It would work if yellow was already part of the pattern, but it would be jarring since you already have cool color stripes established.

I'd by more yarn of the same colors and continue, or 1 color border described above.

Pattern = 3 skeins of 8 ounce Super Saver for each color, which I think may be an old put-up.  

Current RHSS skeins are 7 oz  = 364 yd.  

So if the pattern really required all of the original amount specified, and assuming you bought 3 modern 7-oz. skeins, you would 'need' to buy an extra skein of each color but only use 1 ounce of each to finish (you are 3 oz short, or 156 yards short).  Bah!

Maybe buying one extra skein and making a border is the best plan (budgetwise).

Archived