How to fix a big error....

Boo2418

Question

I am currently working on a baby blanket. I simple project that I have completely messed up. It's all sc and it has totally narrowed. I turn at the end of the row and chain 1, then begin sc down the row and repeat. Should I have sc into the same chain? I can't see that making it better but now I'm stuck. Can I scx2 in a few of the rows to build back up or would that make things worse? Any suggestions appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the ville!

If you have lost many stitches it is going to be obvious. There is no way to patch it up. You reallly need to start over. Put a marker in the first and last stitch of every row and count the stitches as you finish each row. If count is off at all, fix it before you start the next row.

Sorry but that is the only way.

I agree with Kathy and Mona.  Counting is a necessity of crocheting.

When you're doing sc stitches, the turning chain never counts as a stitch.  So, the first stitch needs to be in the last stitch of the previous row.  Don't skip it.  The last stitch needs to be in the first stitch of the previous row.  Don't stitch into the previous row's turning chain.  The easiest way to remember is that for sc, every V (top of stitches) gets a stitch.

SC - turning chain is 1 ch, which never counts as a stitch

HDC - turning chain is 2 ch, which may or may not count as a stitch.  The pattern tells you which.

DC - turning chain is 3 ch, which always counts as a stitch.

TC - turning chain is 4 ch, which always counts as a stitch.

There is a trick that I do for spirals, which can also help the counting in flat pieces.  It's called the running stitch.  Get 2 pieces of scrap yarn in a contrasting color, so it's easy to see.  Place the tail under 10 stitches from each end.  Every row, flip them so that they're always under 10 stitches from each end.  (It doesn't have to be 10 stitches.  It can be any number that you chose.)  You'll need to count every stitch for the first few rows, but after that you can get away with only counting the ends and looking to see if your running stitches are remaining straight.  If they aren't straight, you'll see it and know how much to rip out.  When you're done with the project, just pull out the running stitches.

I agree that there's no remedy but to start over, sorry.

A suggestion for next time:  find 2 stitch markers, doesn't have to be a purchased one, could be a bobby pin (my favorite, Kirby grip if you are in the UK) or a paper clip or safety pin. Put a stitch marker in the first stitch (not the chain) of the row.  Make sure you make the last stitch of a row into a marked stitch; take the marker out, chain 1, make the first stitch of the new row into the first stitch you see (not the chain), put the marker back, and go.

It's also a good idea in any pattern to, if not count your stitches each row, to pause and admire your work each row.  Check to see that you are not skipping stitches in the middle.  Also, check the edges; once you are used to what the stitches should look like, you can see how they sort of stack on top of each other if you are working flat.  Trace 1 stitch from an edge up from the bottom, and make sure that it doesn't disappear; this is a quick way to check if you've lost stitches at the edge.

Archived