Need help with a granny square pattern

Aiony

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi Aiony- Welcome to Crochetville.

I'm not familiar with this pattern at all. I looked around the web but I'm not coming across this pattern or anything close. I checked for magnolia, poinsettia and bloodroot flower patterns but nothing shows, not even close. The petals may be crocheted with a treble-cluster or even a quadruple-cluster, but, other than that I can't tell. Maybe another member will recognize the pattern and be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry.

I think each petal is 2 rows.  first row is 4 double crochet or triple crochet stitches.  second row is a cluster of 4 dc i think.  then you cahin, maybe 4? or 6? then start the next petal.  the chains will slant from the top of the cluster down to begin the dc/tr row od the next petal.  if that makes sense lol  after the flower it is pretty standard granny-type rounds.  

it makes me think of a magnolia flower.  but i don't recognize the pattern itself.  looks like the afghan has been around a while so the pattern may be "vintage" and hard to locate online.  or of course the maker may have created her own pattern.  

and welcome from me too :hook

This pattern has similar-ish petals (green round), that might work--however, it isn't the same.  (the petal cluster motif; there is a video that has a menu of several motifs).  The green round starts 8 minutes into the video.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/petal-clusters-motif

The petal in the above pattern is 1 round of tall stitches; your pattern appears to be made of petals from 2 rounds or rows, where the second row does't go across all of the stitches.  You might be able to use the concept in the video pattern and make even taller stitches to mimic the original.  If the stitches are too long and stringy, you could 'link' them (google linked treble crochet), it's basically grabbing a loop of the stitch to your right as you are making a stitch, to make the fabric more solid.

Duplicating your pattern more exactly - this would work, but doesn't look quite how the original was done - you could make 1 round of base petals like this (I'm assuming your petals are 1 row of trebles, 1 row of DC)

(start) magic ring (or starting ring of your choice)

(round 1) chain 4, 2 trebles in ring, chain 4 back to ring.  

The first and last chains stand in for trebles, the first chain brings you up to stitch height, the last chain brings you back down to the ring.  Repeat the underlined for the number of petals, except for the last petal make a treble instead of a chain (this leaves you at the top, ready to start the next round)

(round 2) slst into top of last stitch, ch 3, make a 3-DC cluster over remaining 3 stitches of petal.  Chain x.  *make a 4 dc cluster over the next petal, chain x, repeat.  slst into beginning of round.

"x" is the number of chains needed to support the round above it; "x" is probably 2 or 3 chains, may vary between the corner and the sides. Since your poor blanket is in tatters you may be able to do an autopsy and determine how many chains were there originally.

Good luck with your restoration project!

And :hi to Magiccrochetfan

it makes me think of a magnolia flower. but i don't recognize the pattern itself. looks like the afghan has been around a while so the pattern may be "vintage" and hard to locate online. or of course the maker may have created her own pattern.

Yes, this blanket is older than me! It's about 32 years old.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I'll have to give your suggestions a try. I'm still very new to crochet as I only started 2 weeks ago.

Oh my, this is an ambitious project for a new crocheter - but a great way to learn things.  

Just a caution for your future projects, one thing that often causes afghans to fall apart in this way is that the ends were cut too short and not woven in properly.  It's best to leave a long end (6 inches, hard to work with a needle with much less) and weave the end through the inside of the yarn, for a couple of inches in 1 direction, and either loop around a bit of a stitch to 'lock' it and turn around and work back thru (this can't be undone without dynamite, almost) or in another direction.  Depends on the pattern or reversibility, sometimes weaving over the same area shows a bit.  Done just to crochet over the ends, because it causes the stitch to be a bit looser and the end more likely to back out.  

Good luck!

Archived