Driving glove pattern confusing me!

GeeAMouse

Question

Hi hookers :chook ,

I'm having a heck of a time with a Lion Brand free driving glove pattern. I get to the thumb shaping and get totally lost. I'm a fairly advanced crocheter but the way the pattern is written has me confused. :bang Apparently, I'm not the only one, so I don't feel too inept, but still. :thair

Is there anyone who can help me? I can't find anyone who has made them and taken photos along the way or is willing to, just a teenager who insists it's easy and that I should be able to do it and not gripe. :reyes

14 answers to this question

Under shaping hand, I start doing Rnd 1 and get to the thumb sts and I think I'm following what it says only it turns out totally wrong. I know I must be getting confused on what the pattern creator intended only I'm not sure where.

For the thumb sts, all you do there is simply skip over those stitches.  a bit further on it says "sc in first skipped sc of row to join for back of hand,"  and that refers to the very first st of the row that you "skipped" over when you joined the new yarn in the 7th-8th-9th st.  

Does that help at all?

Lion Brand is 'odd', I have seen them list the same pattern multiple times for different yarns (OK, I can sort of see that), but this pattern is listed 3 times, but all for wool ease yarn :think  .  Each pattern version has comments re: the confusing way the pattern was written, and many gave up.

LB Pattern #: 
70713AD 
80007AD 
80047AD

This iteration of the pattern had some notes that others found useful (scroll down, second from the last comment)

http://www.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/patternRating.cgi?showReview=1&itemKey=1922242888

I don't think you can see the Ravelry user comments unless you are a member and logged in...a lot of comments there about pattern difficulty, too.

edit - someone mentioned this link, all pics no words but might help?  That person said the pic near the bottom, with the hand pointing to the left and the middle finger completed, helped a lot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48352731@N08/sets/72157623601430566/

I did look at Ravelry. I'm to the point of just giving up on this pattern. I've started over five times during the last two months. The only thing I'm finding is others having the same problem. So far, I've chatted with 8 others (all advanced crocheters) having the same difficulty.

Was hoping someone here was successful with it, as my niece really wants a pair of these. I've made her several open finger gloves, but these just aren't working. I'm sure it's something simple we're all missing. But for the life of me, I can't figure it out.

Thanks, Granny Square! I'll try doing as the note suggests. Hopefully, everything will work out.

I saw they had the pattern listed three times as well. I thought that was REALLY weird. I've never had any problems with any of the patterns they listed before. I even sent the designer a message on Ravelry, but never got an answer.

"

Crochet Driving Gloves Reviewed by J. G. Popolis on 2009-09-05 sapphireStar.gifsapphireStar.gifsapphireStar.gifsapphireStar.gif

I had trouble with the "shape hand" part at first too. Maybe this will help:
Place glove in front of you with the starting end yarn to the left. Place your right hand on the glove. Now you see where the thumb side is. Join yarn where it says in the "shape hand" section.

Rnd 1: [sTARTING IN SAME SC WHERE YOU MADE SL ST] Sc in next 6 (7,8) sc, skip 8 (10, 12) sc (for Thumb sts) [THE "GAP" CURVES AWAY FROM YOU], sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc, sc in next sc [YOU SHOULD BE AT THE END OF THE ROW NOW], ch 4, sc in first skipped sc of row to join for back of hand [i.E. JOIN WHERE YOU FASTENED OFF ROW 14 TO MAKE A ROUND] . . . [FINISH ROUND AS PATTERN INDICATES]

Note that you may need more than 4 ch across back of hand (I used 6) and you probably need to make the sc that makes the thumb space very loose. Try the glove on often as you go.

In Rnd 2:, when you "sc in each sc around", omit the thumb stitches.

The rest should be easy! :D"

copy past from lionbrand sorry :)

Oh you're welcome- I just read G-Square's reply about how a comment on Lion brand's site gives the answer, so I just went to the site and copy-pasted what looked it. I'm so glad the yarn sites allow a comment section for their patterns. I always peruse the "Help" forums on here, considering I am a beginner & can learn from any of these questions on patterns or whatever. I see you are experienced and had an issue with a weird pattern, that tells me its not always just "me" it could even be a confusing (or wrongly worded) pattern.

I've never had a problem with a pattern before. I usually can figure out even the poorest worded ones, but this one really got me! I can honestly say that I don't want to make these ever again because it was such a headache. They came out and look cute. My niece loves them. But there is always something out there that can cause even the most experienced crocheter a problem. So never be discouraged! Just have aspirin on hand! LOL

Thanks so much for pasting the fix in this thread! I'm sure there are a few who will look here for the answer!

Well the Thanks really belongs to GrannySquare, who posted the link with the answer. I just went to the link she talked about and copy pasted it is all. I'm only glad someone on the lion brand had the wits to figure it out and go to the pains of posting a fix for it.

I'm still working on how to read an ordinary pattern lol. Yes I did read the craftyarncouncil how to read patterns and I did learn something- but something about how some of them are written, its like "gee- am I missing something? did they forget to add a phrase or a word?" lol.

I talked to an editor at Leisure Arts a while ago about how a pattern was written, because I just wasn't getting it.  They explained that even though there is a common way to communicate patterns, it can still be tricky.  If a pattern is too wordy, people get lost.  If it's too short, people get confused because they feel like they're missing something.  The wording has to fall in the middle.

Add to that the fact that all human brains think differently.  We all learn differently and interpret things differently.  For example, my brain is extremely logical, so following patterns and instructions usually comes easily.  Yet, the other extreme, creativity, is baffling to me.  I find myself admiring creative people and the things they create, because it's such a struggle for me.  My mom on the other hand can't follow a list of instructions.  She learned to cook from trial and error, because recipes are difficult for her.

Archived