What is the proper way to hold the yarn?

Denny2004

Question

Hi all, I'm very new to crocheting. I wanted to know how to properly hold the yarn when working on a project. Ive working on making a hat and i have to stop every few minutes because my hands are cramping up.

Any tips would be appreciated!

8 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville :hook

There is no absolute way to hold the yarn (or the hook). It sounds like you may be gripping both tightly, if you get cramps. So try to loosen up your grip, and take frequent breaks to move around a bit and stretch your hands. I will come back with some links for you on some recommended ways to hold.

What kind of yarn and hook are you using? Are you following a pattern?

As Kathy said, there are many ways to hold the yarn and a couple of ways to hold the hook.  Are you right handed or left handed?  I assume right, but if you're left handed just swap what I say below.

The two ways to hold the hook are like a pencil and like a knife.  Some are more comfortable one way and others are more comfortable the other way.  Try crocheting both ways to see which one works for you.  Personally I find that holding a hook like a knife is more comfortable, because my right index and thumb are stretched out and control the hook.  My other 3 fingers are loose around the hook, just to hold it steady.

Holding yarn seems to be unique to each crocheter.  Some wrap the yarn around fingers.  I don't do that.  I'm going to tell you how I hold it, just so that you have something else to try, but you have to figure out what is most comfortable and works for you.  I hold my left index finger out with the yarn draped over it.  It's only purpose is to guide the yarn.  I use my left ring finger & pinky to hold the yarn against my palm to provide tension.  They hold the yarn in place, but not tightly.  I then use my left thumb and middle finger to hold my project.  The trick with this method is to never allow your left index finger to do anything except stick straight out.

Hopefully others will join in with how they hold their yarn and hook, so you have various things to try!  The bottom line is that you'll need to try various things to keep control of the hook, allow the yarn to glide and have tension, and hold your project all without gripping anything too tightly.  Whatever you find that both works and is most comfortable is what you should try to use from then on.  The more you do it, the easier it will become, because you'll ingrain the memory of the motions in your hands.

I hold the yarn in a similar way. 

I'd also suggest perhaps trying a hook with a slightly larger handle if you are finding you grip it too tight.  I started with the metal Bates hooks and moved to the Bates Bamboo which have the metal hook and the round wood handles.  I don't have the cramps in my hands like I used to because my hands don't have to close as tightly on them.  This matters especially when I'm working for longer periods of times.  There are TONS of different brands to experiment with, I've tried lots of them before finding the one that works for me.  It might be worth experimenting with some different styles of hooks to see if you find one that makes it easier to relax while crocheting.

I think you are not alone as a beginner holding things too tight; I remember making my stitches much to tightly at the beginning, and had to make a conscious effort to ease up.  One thing I was doing with my right hand...I was forming my stitches really close to the tip of the hook, and not bringing it up farther up to the full width of the the hook, which is what you need to do to let the hook determine your stitch gauge.  It would be the same as using a hook which is too small for the yarn, which is hard on the hands.

I've crocheted for decades; based on what I've learned on the internet, it seems like I was taught to tension my yarn in the 'Russian' style, which makes sense as my maternal ancestors came from Russia.  I hold my hook like a pencil.  My left hand tensions the yarn in a ~ shape over the index finger, under the next and over the last 2 fingers (so the tensioning is between the first 3 fingers, no pinky involved).  Also, my index finger is not sticking up--it's tight against the fabric.  This is a knitting video ( I couldn't find one for crochet) of a knitter demonstrating the 'Russian' style; I hold my yarn in my left hand almost as she does for both knitting and crochet--the difference is she doesn't bring it back up under the second finger.  You'll notice at the very beginning, she says to bring the index finger down close to the left needle - obviously there's no needle there in crochet, but my finger is in the same position close to the fabric.

There are lots of styles, mine is different than the ladies who posted above me but none are 'right'--you'll need to experiment and find what works for you.  

Hi, Denny2004! They are right.

You mainly just need to practice practice practice (fun fun fun :) ).

You will find your own preferred method for holding your yarn.

The "right" way is the way that feels comfortable to you, and this will just take some practice. Nothing else will help you develop a feel for it until you keep at it!

Archived