putting a crochet border on an oval tablecloth

lynnb62

Question

Hi, I'm relatively new crocheter and I'm trying to put a simple crochet lace border on a fabric tablecloth.  I've searched the internet for guidance on how much to increase to get the tablecloth to lie flat, but have been unsuccessful.  Any guidance or patterns that you could refer me to?

Thanks so much, Lynn

5 answers to this question

Hi Lynn, welcome to the ville!

Maybe I am not visualizing it right, but it seems to me that you should be able to make a straight border in just about any pattern you like, and then sew it to the edge of the round cloth.  

Maybe more description would help---what is the diameter of the cloth and size of the table?  Or whatever other description you feel would be good.  

It really depends on your border pattern.  For a simple sc, 3 scs in each corner will make lie flat.  For a simple dc, a shell (2dc, ch2, 2dc) in each corner.

What you can do is experiment.  If the crochet is rippling, then you have too many stitches.  If the fabric is rippling or curling, then you have too few stitches.

Also, I wouldn't make it, then try to sew it on to the tablecloth.  I'd start by sewing an embroidery chain around the edge of the tablecloth.  You can then crochet into the chain, just like it was your foundation chain.

Thanks.  I completed one without any increases and the border didn't lie flat (I'm crocheting it directly onto the linen tablecloth), so I just ripped it out and am going to try again. It's an oval and so I just marked 12 spot on each round end to add a stitch.  Does that sound like a good start?  Sorry for being so remedial...I've never done this before!

what kind of stitch pattern are you using?  

As RedRoses said, in crocheting an expanding shape, the number of increases differs depending on the height of the crochet stitches you are using.  The taller the stitch, the more increases you need.   for example here is a graphic of an oval in dc http://www.crochetkingdom.com/crochet-oval-motif/   it has 6 increases in each row at the rounded ends.  

Personally (and I'm an experienced crocheter) I'd make a border separately from the cloth, and sew it on: (1) it would be a pain to crochet with a table cloth in your lap; (2) much easier to make the edging straight without fiddling and ripping, and ripping, and ripping, to guess at the curve.  You just ease the lace as you sew around the curve so it lies flat.  (ease = micro gathering, short of actually puckering the lace).  Another plus is since you are working on very short rows, it seems to get finished quicker ;)

A lot of edging patterns are designed to be made sideways, meaning in the short direction; this is so you can make it as long as you want and sew it on.  This was very common way for our thrifty foremothers to edge things; when the fabric of a lace-edged thing wore out, you'd save the lace for another tablecloth, pillow case, whatever.

There are a lot of edging patterns at this site.  It is a library of antique craft documents (not all crochet) - do a search on 'edging', the book descriptions are very thorough and  you will find a lot of books that contain sideway/shortway edgings.  The books are in PDF format.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/catalog.htm

More edgings, mostly crochet but some knit.

http://freevintagecrochet.com/edgings.html

Another thought, if you want to continue to work directly onto the cloth - if you pick a simple longways pattern that is sort of 'loopy' (there are several simple, short ones in the links above, that are worked longways but are substantially comprised of chain loops), you can block them into lying flat (by ironing).  ...I assume you are using cotton thread for the lace edge, right?  Don't iron anything that isn't cotton, linen or wool.

Archived