Single Crochet

PikaNAW

Question

So, a pattern of mine tells me to make 2 chain stitches then work 6 single crochets into the first chain. But, everything I've looked at say make one more chain stitch than the amount of single crochets! PLEASE HELP!!!!

4 answers to this question

It might be confusing you as that could be when you are doing a stitch in each chain but for this you are doing them all in the same chain.

Welcome to the 'ville!

It sounds like you are making something in the round, and starting in the middle - this is a common way to start something like this.

There are many occasions where you will put more than 1 stitch into a chain or a stitch - you would be surprised how many stitches you can 'stuff' into 1 stitch!

By the way, a technical answer to your question: for sc, the # of turning chains is 1, which brings your work up to the level of the next row or round.  So when you make a starting chain when working a flat piece, you chain 1 more than the end number of sc stitches you want.  The major exception is where you are starting a closed circle, or a shaped piece (tip of a triangle would be another example).  Notice that you have chained 2, then are putting all of the next round into the second chain from the hook - so there is still 1 chain, the one you skipped, which was used as a turning chain to bring your work up to the level of the stitches of the next row/round.

Archived