Help reading a pattern.... again

pyjamas

Question

hey guys

I'm looking at starting this pattern but just wanted to make sure I fully understood it first. Its going to be for a doll.

• Invdec x 19.
Now you should be left with 9 sc, including the sc that is on your hook. You are going to now start his neck.
• Sc x 30.

The bit I don't understand is the part where it tells me that I should have 9 sc but then I'm sc x 30? The lady that designed the pattern does state at the beginning that she doesn't follow the round and therefore the pattern is not written in proper rounds so would the 30 stitches just be however many rounds?

Hope all that makes sense and sorry for the essay. Thanks in advance for any replies and help :D

7 answers to this question

The pattern is describing a spiral, with a row of sc thrown in every now and then.  It made sense to me, until the sc x 100 and sc x480.  They make no more sense then the sc x 30.

• (Sc, sc, invdec) x 20.         - 36 (sc, sc, invdec can only be done 12 times in 48 stitches)
• Invdec x 19.                       - 18 (invdec can only be done 18 times in 36 stitches with none left over)    
Now you should be left with 9 sc, including the sc that is on your hook. You are going to now start his neck.

I've never done amigurumi, but I've done things with spirals.  I like to write down the number of stitches, before I start a pattern, if it's not provided and the number changes.  In my opinion, either the author missed some steps or has the counts wrong.  Maybe someone familiar with making dolls can explain it.

It seems to mean just keep going until you have the number of stitches mentioned then continue with the next step ignoring where the other rnd started. I've never done it like that but I looked at the pattern and that's all i can think of.

Yeah that what I thought thanks guys. As I say she did say that she didn't work in the round and so hasn't written it as such. Gonna get scary when there's 300+ stitches :S I wonder if I can find a similar pattern written a different way to work with.

Wow, that makes plausible sense for a toy's shaping, but is an odd way to do it.  It would be a lot easier/ more standard IMO to keep count of rounds (even if you are working in a spiral) and say 'work x rounds without increases' instead of 100 & 480 stitches.

I've had to edit some posts in this thread due to our copyright/trademark policies, so I thought I'd offer an explanation to help everyone understand my reasoning.

We love to help people having crochet problems, but we must make sure we do so while following the appropriate copyright and trademark laws.

This generally means that it's okay to post the instructions for the one line of a pattern you're having trouble with, and sometimes the line before if that's needed for full understanding. I had to edit the first two patterns to remove the excess parts of the pattern that were included. We don't want to get a takedown notice from a designer for copyright infringement.

Next, in most cases, it's absolutely fine and highly encouraged to post a link to a pattern instead of posting the actual instructions. However, in this case, the pattern involves a popular character from a TV shows. We can only allow links to patterns that are either officially licensed or for which the designer states they've received permission from the copyright/trademark owner of the popular character to distribute the pattern (whether the pattern is being sold or made available for free). This is so we can avoid any legal troubles related to trademark infringement and/or trademark dilution.

Thanks for helping us make sure our site stays clear of any legal issues.

Archived