"tshirt yarn" help

MrsJTB

Question

Hi! I'm new here and would like to ask for your help. I ordered "tshirt yarn" from an online seller since zpagetti is too expensive for me and I am just starting with crocheting. I figured I didn't want to spend too  much on a beginner project so I decided to buy a cheaper version online. When I got the package, this is what I got (see photo). I am not sure if this will work with the "pouf" project that I wanted to do and if it doesn't, what I am I going to do with 1.5kgs worth of this material. I cannot return it anymore.

Any suggestions? Has anyone worked with this type of material before?

TIA!

post-75330-0-57023400-1434520802_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Welcome to crochetville!  I've never crocheted with thick, flat yarn before.  I know it can be done, but it would be very awkward and difficult.  You'd need a really huge hook. 

However, I do have some suggestions for you as a beginner crocheter.  Go down to your local craft store or Walmart and get some cheap worsted weight yarn (size 4) in either acrylic ($2.99) or cotton ($1 - 2).  This is the best size to get started, because there are a lot of patterns for that size and it's easiest to use.  Which size yarn does your "pouf" project recommend?  Here's the link for different sizes ... http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

Next, start with something super simple, like a dishcloth, coaster or cozy.  It takes practice to build up to crocheting whatever you want.  If you start too difficult, you might get discouraged.  Like anything else new, the more you do it, the more comfortable it will be and your confidence will grow.

When you crochet with fabric strips, you usually roll/fold it into a tube as you go.  For thinner fabric there's a tool that you feed it into that folds it for you, I don't think there's a tool for something so thick.  All I can think of is making a rug, maybe.  Place mats?  You will need a huge hook, I imagine this material (as well as T-shirt yarn) would probably be very frustrating for a beginner to use.

One thing you need to be aware of, as a beginner, is that patterns will call out a certain brand of yarn, or a certain weight of yarn, and if you substitute yarn you need to find something that is the same size and yardage.  Example, here is a pattern for a Zpagetti cushion, I'm guessing this is similar to your pouf pattern?  It calls for 3-4 kilos.  After some googling, I find that Zpagetti appears to be super bulky (5-6 wraps per inch), comes in 54 yards (49 meter)  balls, 380 grams per ball.  So, you'd need about 10 balls of Zpagetti (~3.8Kg), or about 540 yards/490 meters.  I'm guessing what you have wasn't meant to be used as yarn and didn't give this sort of information.   In any event, you have less than half the weight required, if all things are equal--and they're not, because what you have looks much heavier per yard, you have only 1.5 kilos, so you have much less yardage than you need for the project (assuming it is similar to the pattern I linked here).  

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but I think you knew it wouldn't work for the project already.  Your knitted tape might have worked for a pouf (maybe not as soft), but you'd have needed more of it, and you'd have to design your own pattern to fit the yarn. 

Are you in the UK?  Here is a link to a UK site for super chunky yarn that you might have substituted for Zpagetti, not sure how the cost compares.

This is the tool that I was thinking of just in case you were wondering, to give you an idea of folding as you go.

Do some googling on 'crochet with fabric' for some more ideas; besides rugs I saw a basket pattern that your 'yarn' might be suited for.  

Good luck!

Thank you redrosesdz and granny square for the advice. I'll try to look for the fabric folder and see if it will work with the material that I have. If not, I'll just have to make it into a rug maybe. I can't have it go to waste. Oh I was aiming too high for my first project, I was really set on making these for our home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UomNM55Yiqg

Btw, this is such a nice forum for beginners like me. I really appreciate your suggestions. I will definitely be back since I am determined to learn more about crocheting.

Cheers! 

Archived