How to pick which yarn to use?

hannielou

Question

Hello, I'm new to crochet but would like to learn as my sister is pregnant and I would like to make the new baby some lovely things. I've decided to start with a granny square blanket, I think this is a good beginner project. However, I don't know what yarn I should use! What is the difference in yarn weight? Am I better going for cotton or acrylic? I read that cotton is not as flexible so not sure it would be the best option for a beginner. I would like to end up with quite a chunky, soft blanket, mainly I want it to be really soft. I'm also not sure how to judge how much I will need?

Also, is there any difference between knitting wool and crochet yarn? I've seen a some wool that tells you the size of knitting needles to use but not size of crochet hook, are these interchangeable?

Sorry for so many questions but there was much more to it than I expected, I thought I just bought the yarn depending on the crochet hook size! Would really appreciate any advice!

Thank you :)

22 answers to this question

Re: stitch markers, I use bobbie pins (Kirby grips? these things).  In the US you can get about 50 for $1.

I don't think I ever heard the term Kirby grip, interesting!

I still mark first/last st sometimes, esp in sc...those little stitches just hide from me! lol

You said you were in England. If you haven't bought yarn yet, you could check out the Stylecraft yarns. The DK weight would be good for a baby blanket. They are inexpensive and work up quite nicely. I'm in the US, but I buy it from the UK. You would have the advantage of being able to see it first. Special DK is 100% acrylic, Life DK is 25% wool (I haven't used this one). The come in lots of colors. The bank suggests a 4 mm hook, but you could, as someone said, go down a bit. For this yarn I wouldn't go much larger unless you crochet tightly. 

I buy online, obviously, but you could probably also find it locally.

If you're not familiar with it, check out Lucy's Attic24 blog. She uses a lot of this yarn and makes some beautiful things with it. http://attic24.typepad.com/

In person groups can be really helpful in all kinds of ways, and lots of un!  Hope you enjoy the ones in your area!  

I agree!  I love going to my yarn group.  We do extra things, too.  Tomorrow we're going to an Alpaca farm to watch them shear, comb and spin the wool.  I can't wait to go drool over the Alpaca yarn in their store!

In person groups can be really helpful in all kinds of ways, and lots of fun!  Hope you enjoy the ones in your area!  

edited to add "f" to "un" since "un" is not really a word  :P

Thanks again for all your help. The pattern told me the yards I will need and that's how I worked out 4 balls. I'm excited to get started, I will let you know how I get on! I have found a couple of groups who meet locally so may go along. Thank you again for all your help!

Magic, I had to look up Kirby grips...I knew they weren't called bobbie pins in the UK where the OP is located!   I think bobbie may a reference to bobbed hair, apparently in the UK, a company with Kirby in the name used to make them.

Hannielou, for changing yarn (not so much for changing colors, but continuing with the next skein) there are other ways that don't involve weaving in the ends.  These all involve melding the ends together in different ways that are very sturdy, and the melded ends are just crocheted in along with the rest of the yarn, over a couple of stitches.  There are lots of videos, I just grabbed the first ones I saw:

1) If you are using wool, or a blend with mostly wool, you can use a 'spit' splice.  Fray out the 2 ends a couple of inches, lay the frayed ends on top of each other (end to end, to end up with a continuous piece), get them wet (doesn't have to be spit!!), and rub the ends vigorously together until they felt (I think the right term is full) together.  

2) Russian join (the title says knit, it's really just yarn and a sewing needle; you can use this for color changes too) http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-knit-the-russian-join/

3) Braided join - I like this the best, it's quite invisible 

There are 2 ways to change yarn ....

1.  The first way can be done anywhere on a row or round.  Complete a stitch until the last step.  Drop the old yarn.  Pick up the new yarn.  Yarn over with the new yarn and pull through to complete the stitch.  Continue with the new yarn.  Just make sure you leave enough tail on both the old and new yarns to weave in the ends.  When you weave them in, weave each one in opposite directions.

2. The second way is only done at the end of a row or round.  Finish off the old yarn.  Slip stitch the new yarn onto the next row or round.  Leave enough tail on both for weaving in the ends.  Weave them in opposite directions.

There are videos that show both ways.  Look up "changing colors."  The methods are for changing colors or balls of the same color.

Also, just because the pattern says it used 4 balls of yarn, it doesn't mean that you will.  It depends on the yarn that you choose.  Take the yardage of the ball used in the pattern and multiply it by 4.  This gives you the total yards used.  When you go shopping, pick your yarn and calculate how many you'll need for the total yards.  Always round up.  If the number is close to exact, buy an extra.  Try to get all of the yarn at once and in the same dye lot.  If you buy bigger skeins, like a pounder, you'll change yarn less often.

While you're at the store, check to see if they have a yarn group that meets.  You can also check with your church or do a search online for a group.  Attend a meeting and you're bound to find someone that will teach you for free.  It's much easier to learn from a person, than from a video.  There are also a ton of books on "learn to crochet."  It would be useful to have one handy while you're learning.

Oh yeah I have loads of kirby grips around so can use those!

I have a pattern that is basically 95 repeating rows and then 4 rounds. I think it uses about 4 basic stitches in it so was planning on using a video to get the hang of those at the beginning. I'm hoping by picking a repetitive one I will soon get the hang of it. Do you think this sounds like a good plan for my first project? Thanks for the the links, there are so many videos around so good to know where to look.

The only thing that seems a bit daunting is that the pattern requires 4 balls of yarn, is it easy to swap to a new ball as each runs out?

I haven't had any problems using regular safety pins.  I've used them for quite a while now and have never had one catch on the yarn.  I did buy new ones just for marking, so they'd be really sharp.  Bobby pins are a great idea!

They aren't critical for simple patterns, but are extremely useful.  Stitch markers are good for marking things like right side, count, end of a round, etc.  You can buy them wherever yarn is sold or online.   Don't use the ones that are a circle, because they are a pain to put on and take off.  There are plastic ones that look like big safety pins and I've heard that they're pretty good.  I use regular gold safety pins, because they are cheap and easy to use.

I use the safety pin type markers in your second link, love tham.   The circle ones in your second link are made for knitting; they are placed on the needle and moved form needle to needle as you knit.  I don't know how they would even be attached to a crochet stitch, much less removed?

I don't use safety pins myslef because the coil at the bottom can get caught in the yarn, and even the top can as well.

Re: stitch markers, I use bobbie pins (Kirby grips? these things).  In the US you can get about 50 for $1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_pin

They are really cheap and work great.  You won't need markers on most patterns, but are really handy on occasion.  (Some new crocheters have trouble identifying the first or last stitch in a row or round, a marker might be handy for this until you get the hang of recognizing where that is).

I am probably old school, but I consider videos GREAT for learning a new stitch or unusual technique but  sort of --Lame?  Not the best format? -- for a whole project.  Also, I'd recommend videos from yarn companies, Nexstitch.com, or Annies' Attic ( https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/AtoZ.html?type_id=S&cid=3 ) versus 'anybody', the quality can really vary.

Granny squares are nice because they are very simple; really; if you watch a video for 2 rounds of a granny square, you will easily grasp the concept and will be able to follow a pattern for the same thing or one with variations.  Seriously, the hardest thing for newbies is identifying where the corners are in the square--but only in their first try and for the first round or 2, usually.

Also - If you go with squares, you might think about finding a pattern that is 'join as you go' (or a video that shows this).  There are many ways to do this, from simple to elaborate, and sometimes the sewing up of a zillion squares at the end can be daunting.

They aren't critical for simple patterns, but are extremely useful.  Stitch markers are good for marking things like right side, count, end of a round, etc.  You can buy them wherever yarn is sold or online.   Don't use the ones that are a circle, because they are a pain to put on and take off.  There are plastic ones that look like big safety pins and I've heard that they're pretty good.  I use regular gold safety pins, because they are cheap and easy to use.

If you get a book, I love this one for baby blankets...

Amazon: Baby Afghans By The Pound by Leisure Arts

It's got several really cute designs and all of the afghans are made with 1 or 2 pounds of yarn, so you won't have to change yarn very much.  Their patterns are pretty simple to follow and marked for beginner - intermediate.

Thanks so much for all your advice. I will look for a weight 3 or 4 or baby weight then. The baby is due in November and we live in England so the heavier weight might be better but it would be nice for it to be versatile as it gets warmer. Definitely for any clothes I might do I will only use a 3 but for the blanket I might use a slightly heavier one.

I have been watching videos on YouTube as I thought it would be easier to watch someone and copy rather than trying to follow a written pattern, also to get used to the terminology. Maybe I will get a pattern from a yarn company and then use videos as I go along for any pointers.

Thank you again!

Acrylic is a good choice for a blanket, it is easily washable and non-allergenic (usually, some people complain of allergies to sizing or manufacturing residue on the acrylic, but acrylic itself is plastic so...)

There are finer cotton yarns too that might not be so heavy, but you might have to buy them on line.  Of course cotton is washable too.

If you are a beginner, I suggest you follow a pattern from a yarn company or a magazine, it will tell you how much yarn you need, ; patterns from blogs not so much).  Err or buying more than less, I 'round up' and you'd be surprised how often I have to break into that skein I shouldn't have needed to finish a project.  Go by the yardage shown on the pattern, not the ounces, it's more accurate; and as said above, stick to the same yarn weight.  A pattern will also tell you which hook to use (the hook or needle size suggested on the yarn band is just a suggestion; you can usually use a couple of sizes +/- from that size as well, depending on your personal tension and results desired.  Although the stitch gauge per inch is different, most yarn bands (I just looked at a few in my stash) suggest the same mm needle and hook.

Keep in mind that if you go with a chunky yarn, it might be fluffy but it will also be very warm.  You'll be able to complete your project quicker, but IMO a finer weight for babies is nicer and more versatile.

If you go to an arts and crafts store, like Joanns, Michaels, AC Moore, Walmart, etc., there are sections of yarn just for babies.  Anything that says "baby" or "baby soft" is good.  My favorite baby yarn is anything by Bernat.  As Tampa Doll pointed out, a #3 weight is good for movement and lighter things and #4 is good for heavier things, like a blanket.

Here's a helpful guide ...  http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html

The size of yarn, for me, depends on where the baby will live.  Is it going to live in a hot climate like Florida or will it live where the seasons change and it gets cold.

Most of the baby blankets I have made have been with baby weight or #3 size yarn.  You cold also use the yarn called Pound of Love, that is #4 or ww weight.

For sweaters and  such I would stay with the baby weight yarn, but that is my opinion.

I would be careful with wool, I don't particularly like it, as it makes me itch.  Cotton is a bit to heavy using ww.   There are a lot of nice Chunky Baby Yarns out there.  Here are two:

Herrschners & Joanns

Archived